Author Topic: Alice O'Hanlon  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice O'Hanlon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Were these some of Alice O' Hanlon's works?
"A Diamond in the Rough" 3 volumes
"Erleston Glen. A Lancashire Story of the Sixteenth Century" published 1878
"A Costly Heritage VI" (1882)
"The Unforseen" 3 vols
"West Thorpe" (1882) published by Scottish Temperance League

Writing novels published by a temporance society would fit with her as a  daughter of a Non-Conformist minister.
Was she successful and well-known as a novelist? Any obituaries under either O'Hanlon or Midgley?
Did she appear in any biographical dictionaries?

As for speculating why she had no later novels published; inspiration dried up; her novels ceased to be popular; lack of time for writing; health; death ?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
One of the problems is that the 1881 census seems to be her only appearance apart from the probable 1840 birth registration. But O'Hanlons seem few on pre-1881 census, like where is the Alice O'Hanlon born c1845 in Lancashire who is the widowed Alice Connor on the 1881 census.
And again, no sign of her siblings on censuses though births are in the GRO Index.

Ah, just found the baptism record of a Mary O'Hanlon born 1837 to William M O'Hanlon and his wife, Alice, nee Southworth of Chorley, the father an independent minister. He is William Murphy O'Hnalon, 1809 to 1933 in Burnley. An Ancestry tree only has William P plus an Alfred (1838) and Emily (1851) as his children. William P is on 1871 census with his young family

This is a bit of a digression from my main question, but does make one wonder about their absence on the censuses before 1881, especially as all Alice's siblings are born in Lancashire over the years. Are they there under some odd misspelling caused by poor transcriptions of poor originals.

And would the marriage certificate say she was a writer if she had given it up for the marriage?

John

Lack of O'Hanlon name pre 1881 census may be for a variety of reasons. Misspellings, clerical errors and incorrect transcriptions, as you say are some. Also low literacy levels and mis-heard names spoken in Irish accents. When I'm looking at a census for an Irish name I often spend a lot of time submitting amendments. Some Irish surnames recorded in census enumerator's books leave me baffled. Among the worst are those in lodging-houses.  Another reason is that surnames beginning with O', Mac or Mc may have been recorded without the prefix, or with the prefix as if it was a middle initial. E.g William Murphy O'Hanlon might have been recorded as William M.O. Hanlon. People with Irish surnames may have dropped or assumed an O, Mc or other Irish prefix, depending on attitude to Irish people in mainland Britain at the time, or to improve chances of employment or education at a particular establishment.

As for this particular O'Hanlon family  not being visible at census time, a Non-Conformist clergyman of Irish extraction may have moved around Britain and Ireland. Rev. O'Hanlon may have answered the call to take charge of a ministry somewhere or may have been on a preaching mission. If Alice was a dedicated member of the temperance movement she may have travelled for the cause as a young adult, as may her siblings.

William P. O'Hanlon may be William Patrick, birth registered Chorley, listed in my reply #5. I didn't come accross an Alfred or Emily. (I only looked at Lancashire BMD.) Where & when were they born? Was maiden name Southworth? Btw Southworth can be Southward, Southard, Suthard or variations. There were 3 spellings on the same register entry for a baptism of one of my ancestors. Southworth is a common Lancashire name.

Did you mean that William Murphy O'Hanlon was born in Burnley in 1809? Is the year definite or an estimate? Do you know any places he served as minister?
Bride's occupation at time of her marriage should be on marriage certificate. Was her occupation writer on 1881 census?  Charlotte Bronte's occupation was either governess or none on census. I don't know what she put on marriage certificate. Her father, Rev. Patrick Bronte was formerly Brunty.
Cowban

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
For Emily and Alfred I suggest the Ancestry tree 
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/24426520/person/27570834925/facts
There is a photo of a family tombstone which mentions Alice (Southworth) and Emily and Alfred. The tree says Alfred is 1838 to 1893 which wrong because the photo can make his date of death look like 1893 not 1898 which is correct and is as O'Hanlan in the GRO index. Emily's death in 1871 is correct but so far no sign of her birth record.

As to William Murphy O'Hanlon this is the only record pertaining to his birth I have found,  from Lancashire, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1986

Name:    William Murphy Hanlon
Birth Year:    abt 1809
Death Age:    46
Burial Date:    12 Jul 1855
Burial Parish:    Padiham, Lancashire, England

Regards
John

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 July 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the tree on Ancestry.
Both birth and death years for Alfred are incorrect. Death was registered March quarter 1898 Stockport. You are probably right in surmising that the tree owner misread year on tombstone as 1893 instead of 1898. Subtracting his recorded age at death from 1893 resulted in estimating year of birth as 1838. I couldn't find a birth registration for Alfred or Henry O'Hanlon between 1837-1841. However Alfred Henry O'Hanlon was registered 1843 Dec. quarter in Wirral, mother's maiden name Southworth. The tree also has William Patrick O'Hanlon's birth as 11th August 1838 in Chorley. Given that the parents married 1836 and you found baptism of daughter, Mary in 1837 there wasn't much space to fit another baby in those years.

I tried to find Emily's birth registration on GRO index by leaving forename box empty. The only female O'Hanlon registered 2 years either side of 1851 was Jessy, 1849, Liverpool, mother's maiden name not stated on index. Have you found Emily on a census? Is it certain that she was a daughter of William Murphy O'Hanlon & Alice? She may have been another relative or adopted. If she was their daughter she may have been born elsewhere in the British Isles or abroad.

A few other points about the Ancestry tree.
William Murphy O'Hanlon. It gives a precise d.o.b. Does that have a source? It says he was born in Newry, Northern Ireland in 1809. Northern Ireland didn't exist as a seperate entity for another 11 decades. It has his marriage to Alice Southworth in Chorley, Cheshire. (Source "from FindMyPast marriage records")  I assume that should be Chorley, Lancashire?

William Patrick O'Hanlon probate 16th Nov. 1912. I thought there might be a chance his sisters were mentioned in his will by married names or a brother-in-law was an executor.

Cowban

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I must admit that I only mentioned the tree because of the photo. The actual tree is another of those error-ridden trees that Ancestry allow without any apparent check - well, quantity not quality seems to be their motto.
Whatever, I have applied for the certificate for the 1890 marriage in the hope it will show I am on the right path.

Regards
John

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
One of the problems is that the 1881 census seems to be her only appearance apart from the probable 1840 birth registration. But O'Hanlons seem few on pre-1881 census

This is a bit of a digression from my main question, but does make one wonder about their absence on the censuses before 1881, especially as all Alice's siblings are born in Lancashire over the years.

Are they there under some odd misspelling caused by poor transcriptions of poor originals.

Hi John - Wondering if this might be a possibility for Alice on 2 earlier censuses

1871 census address Croft Road Torquay, Devon, no full Christian names given but all three persons are listed as O Hanlon dittoed as Boarders

O  Hanlon   W 60 occ Funds Sharples Lancashire
O  Hanlon dau 31 occ dittoed Chorley dittoed - (Is this Alice Jnr.?)
O Hanlon dau 20 occ dittoed Belf(ast?)
1871 RG10; Piece: 2085; Folio: 43; Page: 5

SHARPLES, a township and a sub-district in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Bolton district, Lancashire.

There’s this family surname transcribed as Ohanlow
1861 RG 9; Piece: 2880; Folio: 138; Page: 41 living Stockport Rd, Manchester
Alice 50 widow 50 occ. Fund Holder Lancashire Bolton
Alice 21 unmarried dau occ. ditto Chorley
Henry 17  ditto son Salesman of Shawls ? Cheshire Birkenhead
Chas 15 son Clerk Lancashire Chorley
Emily 10 dau Ireland
Elijah Helm nephew 23 Commisson agent for cotton goods Lancashire Padiham?
2 birth entries Lancashire BMD Padiham 1837 mmn Southworth 1839 mmn Hartley
1 servant

the 1871 census above with the three O Hanlon appear to be a match for
Alice snr., Alice & Emily O’ Hanlon

and for info. Alice Snr.

1891 RG12; Piece: 3046; Folio: 106; Page: 22
Parbold Hall
Annie SOUTHWORTH Head wid       70 Lancashire Rochdale Gentlewoman
Willhemina Southworth dau             44  Lancashire Manchester    ditto
ALICE O HANLON visitor Wid      80 Sharples Bolton           ditto
2 servants

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:11 BST (UK) »

As to William Murphy O'Hanlon this is the only record pertaining to his birth I have found,  from Lancashire, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1986

Name:    William Murphy Hanlon
Birth Year:    abt 1809
Death Age:    46
Burial Date:    12 Jul 1855
Burial Parish:    Padiham, Lancashire, England

Transcipt on Anc*y also shows this entry

Name:   Rev Wm M O'Hanlon
Death Age:   39
Notice Type:   Death
Birth Date:   abt 1816
Residence Place:   Barnley
Death Date:   9 Jul 1855
Death Place:   Ireland
Publication Date:   18 Jul 1855

but looking at the entry in the Belfast, Northern Ireland, The Belfast Newsletter
(Birth, Marriage and Death Notices), 1738-1925
it reads

July 9, at Barnley, the Rev. Wm M. O’Hanlon in his 46th Year

By the REV. W. M. O'HANLON, author of "The Operative, Classes of Great Britain," A prize essay.

Rev. William O Hanlon, Walks Among the Poor of Belfast And Suggestions for Their Improvement (1853)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mb9/

If he's the correct person husband of Alice nee Southworth could Alice Jnr. and her family be in Ireland on 1851 census sister Emily was noted as born  Ireland c1851 on 1861 census, Belfast? 1871c
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 July 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
There’s this family surname transcribed as Ohanlow
1861 RG 9; Piece: 2880; Folio: 138; Page: 41 living Stockport Rd, Manchester
Alice 50 widow 50 occ. Fund Holder Lancashire Bolton
Alice 21 unmarried dau occ. ditto Chorley
Henry 17  ditto son Salesman of Shawls ? Cheshire Birkenhead
Chas 15 son Clerk Lancashire Chorley
Emily 10 dau Ireland
Elijah Helm nephew 23 Commisson agent for cotton goods Lancashire Padiham?
2 birth entries Lancashire BMD Padiham 1837 mmn Southworth 1839 mmn Hartley
1 servant
Charles may be Charles Frazer O'Hanlon registered 1845 Chorley. (My reply #5.) Henry may be Alfred Henry registered 1843 Wirral, both with mother's maiden name Southworth.

Unfortunately Emily's birth predated civil registration of births in Ireland by a few years.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 18 01:20 BST (UK) »
This may be Elijah's baptism,
1st Oct. 1837 St. Leonard, Padiham
Elijah Helm born 30th Aug. son of Henry & Helen. Henry was a grocer.

Maybe parents' wedding.
May 1836 St. Chad, Rochdale.
Henry Helm, grocer & draper, Padiham
Ellen Southworth, spinster, Rochdale
Witnesses Jas Southworth, Mary Southworth
Married by licence

Judging by number of entries in parish registers on Lancashire OPC there were several men called Henry Helm in Padiham.

If Mrs Alice O'Hanlon's sister's family lived in Padiham that may account for Rev. O'Hanlon dying in Burnley district.
Cowban