Author Topic: A long shot! I am looking for my grandfather Alexander Malcolm Truelove  (Read 3209 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A long shot! I am looking for my grandfather Alexander Malcolm Truelove
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 July 18 01:25 BST (UK) »
Interesting, thanks Suz
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: A long shot!
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 July 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my grandfather Alexander Malcolm  Truelove born 21/8/1915-18 his army records say he was born in Cardiff but we can find no trace of him. He appeared in Birmingham just before the war and married my grandmother, his marriage certificate says father Stephen Malcolm Truelove deceased. They had children and he stayed in Birmingham until 1950 then he moved back to Cardiff where he stayed and died in 1985 losing all contact with his children.
I assume he must of had some connection to Wales so it may hold the key to his past but where do I start looking? He seems to have never been born with no birth cert. So may of been brought up in a home/ poorhouse.
I am at a complete loss where to start searching, would the Glamorgan archives be of help? I can't find him on any electoral rolls for Wales any advice greatly appreciated

Hello

pollypringle originally said her Alexander Malcolm Truelove died 1985.

I wanted various Death Certificates in the past (that were not publicly showing) after 1983 and had to apply to the Registrar of the District covering the Town where they were last known to live, as these Deaths were not on the publicly available GRO Index.

Where the Deceased Lived or Died
If pollypringle wants to work back from a last known relative and get his Death Certificate, then we should suggest the thread poster starts by making contact with the Registrar at the 'Registry Office' covering the Registration District area, in which the relative was last known to reside, or more importantly known to have died.

Comment About Inquests
A missing registration of a death in an Index, might, or might not, have anything to do with an Inquest, where a Coroner's Certificate of the Fact of Death sometimes called an ... Interim Death Certificate is issued by a Coroner and the Coroner Registers the Death later with the Registrar where the Death took place, after the Inquest has taken place at which a verdict was reached.

Registrar of B, M & D
From the information given the Cardiff Register Office of Births, Marriages and Deaths and a Search of the Death Certificates, covering the area in which death occurred, or where they last lived, as a starting point if the original poster wants to apply for a Death Certificate with a search.

Electoral Rolls & Street Directories
Regarding Electoral Rolls (those not online), a manual search without any home address for a City could take days or longer. Cardiff Library, may have Street Directories in alphabetical Surname order (but some Street Directories required payment to be included and not everyone is included in some).

However, usually someone at the Central Library for a City should be able to advise what is available and where held, including Regional Archives covering their area.

Mark

Note: If using Free BMD (before 1984) and any search provider using the GRO Registers transcribed by Free BMD, then it will depend on the completeness of the GRO Index transcriptions, by Free BMD.

A few Death Notices can be found in The Gazzette (London, Edinburgh or Belfast) if the death needed to go to a Public or other Notice.