Author Topic: Alexander Barclay  (Read 735 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alexander Barclay
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Alexander Wardrof Barclay was the son of Andrew/Jessie Sneddon.  He was born 08 Oct 1876, in Dennistoun.

Alexander married Janet (Jean) Spence Jackson daughter of John/Janet Wilson born 39 Aug 1879 in Kelvin and on 25 Jun 1903 they were married at Bath Hotel in Glasgow. 

They had one child, a daughter named Margaret.  Margaret’s birth is not in SP as Barclay/Barklay/etc., I looked at them all.

On the 13 May aboard the Lititia they arrived in Quebec heading for Winnipeg.  Thirteen months later on 12 JUL 1913 Jean dies and in the 1916 Census just Alexander and Margaret remain. 

Then in 1918 Alexander marries Elizabeth Wilson Montgomery a recent widow (1911), with 5 Robinson children.

They are not in the 1921 Census and nothing more on them until their deaths Alexander died in Victoria 1944 and Elizabeth in Langley in 1970. 

My interest is Alex/Jean’s daughter Margaret…where did she vanish to.  She is not in the BC nor Manitoba archives so I’m stuck.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Barclay
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
This might be a possible record of them on the 1921 Census transcribed as Bordon in Manitoba
Alexander age 45 b 1876 Scotland year of immigration 1914
Elizabeth 45 b Scotland
Margaret 18 b 1903 Scotland
William Robinson Bordon 25 b Scotland
James 21 b Scotland
Agnes 19 b Scotland
John 16 b Scotland

Rosie

Offline jfremont

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Margaret Smith Barclay, single, 11 June 1953 in Vancouver. Seems to be the right age, born Glasgow, etc. Father given as Alexander. Mother shown as Jean Dunn. However informant is a friend so may have not have known mother's maiden name.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/ab53664f-eb01-49dd-818b-35997fe38cc1

John

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a Margaret Smith Barclay, single, 11 June 1953 in Vancouver. Seems to be the right age, born Glasgow, etc. Father given as Alexander. Mother shown as Jean Dunn. However informant is a friend so may have not have known mother's maiden name.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/ab53664f-eb01-49dd-818b-35997fe38cc1

John
Looks good John

Scotlands People has a birth for a Margaret Smith Barlcay 1903 St Rollox Lanarkshire maybe this is her ...that would explain why you could  not find her birth

Rosie

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks but the 1903 in St Rollox is and an Irish family married Belfast 1901, her father was an Electrical Engineer.  This is the same Marg who died in 1953 as her was Dunn. 

The 1921 is them and I thank you, although I'm not sure how they got Bordon from Barclay. 

Don

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
I was wondering.....

Have you looked for a birth for Margaret under her mother's maiden name in case she was born prior to the marriage?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 July 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Polarbear,

Yes I did and even searched under her mother's and paternal grandmother's given name. 

I went through newspaper archives today and although Winnipeg is well covered nothing there or elsewhere in Canada that fits. 

I also emailed the cemetery where her mother lays perhaps she is there.

Don