Author Topic: Help Needed to Locate a Burial In Morpeth  (Read 3503 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help Needed to Locate a Burial In Morpeth
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have for some 20 years been trying to find the burial of my 3x gt grandfather George Hill (1821-1903), with great difficulty. However, I have now almost found his burial, but I have a slight problem & require some assistance!

Here is an earlier thread attempting to find out: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=631660.msg4794909#msg4794909

The death index record mentioned in the above linked thread, turned out (Surprise, surprise! ::)) to be him after all!

On familysearch there is a burial listed for him here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JCTT-C2J showing him buried at Morpeth Parish on 28th June 1903.

Newspaper reports of his death say that 'His remains were interred at Morpeth Churchyard'.

What I am needing to know is:

Is Morpeth Parish &/or Morpeth Churchyard that of St Mary the Virgin in Morpeth? If not then where was he buried?

How do I find out if he is in which ever burial ground in Morpeth he is in (i.e. so as to locate his grave using grave refs) &/or whom do I contact if anyone to find out?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to Locate a Burial In Morpeth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
St Mary the Virgin is Morpeth Parish church and the Churchyard will be that of St Mary the Virgin.
Records of  burials 1583-1956 are available at Northumberland Archives Service http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/collections/
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
I can check the burial register on Wednesday - see if he appears

I'm not sure whether there are any MIs for Morpeth but I'll find out

Christine

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan & Christine,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated indeed.

Stan, Many thanks for clarifying that, much appreciated.

Christine, That is very kind of you & very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Unless there is a headstone at St Marys Morpeth, you won't be able to find the grave. The original grave plot plan is lost, I've tried to find other burials there before and it's almost impossible.

I have the transcript of the burial register and it reads "George HILL   County Asylum,Morpeth   28/06/1903   79"

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 19:50 BST (UK) »

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/

Hi David,

I have just noticed that according to the above website George appears to have had a death notice in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

If you do not already have this but would want this -  I can look this up for you the next time I can visit the Newcastle local studies.  I am working nightshifts at the moment but should be able to visit there at some point in the near future.

Just let me know if this is something you may want/need.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen List Lass, Barryd & River Tyne Lass,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Gen List Lass, many thanks for the transcription, that's definitely him as he was in the County Asylum in Morpeth according to his death cert. Thanks also for info re headstones & burial plots, much appreciated.

Barryd, many thanks for the National Archives link re records for the County Asylum in Morpeth, most interesting & much appreciated.

River Tyne Lass, that is most kind & very much appreciated, I would definitely like to have that death notice please, also I notice on the link you gave that there is also one for his widow in 1906, would it be possible to have that one to please! ;D (Isabella Hill, 17th Aug 1906, Age 79, Wallsend). Many thanks in advance.

My thanks to you all again.

Kind regards

David

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
No, problem David - I will look up both notices for you the next time I can get to the Newcastle City library.  I expect I will be able to get this done at some point soon. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner