Author Topic: Help Needed to Locate a Burial In Morpeth  (Read 3546 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed to Locate a Burial In Morpeth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:27 BST (UK) »

Would Morpeth cemetery likely be where people on the registers at St Robert RC might be buried?  I have quite a few ancestors whose deaths are on these.  I don't expect they would have had grave stones - they were not well off.  I would just be interested in finding out where they may be.  Could you let me know where this cemetery is please?  Is it near St Robert?

I’ve been thinking about this since you posted and a lot depends upon when.  Certainly until very recently I believe it was the only churchyard in Morpeth (of any denomination).

As for the location of St. Marys - coming from Newcastle on the A1 take the A197 to Morpeth.  First you’ll see the County Council offices on the right and then the golf course on the left.  Next to that is St. Mary’s church followed by the Sun Inn.  I’m not sure if you can see the church from that side of the road as it is up a hill so look for the Sun Inn and take the narrow road just before it.  I think you can park up there.  Personally I go for lunch at the Inn and leave the car in their car park!  The cemetery is very peaceful and a lovely place to walk around.

It's nowhere near St. Robert's which is in the centre of Morpeth.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 July 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information Christine.

One of these days I will have to visit there although commitments won't allow at the moment.

Going way back  my Conroy family investor's beginnings in this area seem to have been strongly rooted in Morpeth.  I have visited the outside of St Robert in the past and can see that no burials took place there - grounds look too small.

Another Roots Chatter has very recently kindly checked for me regarding my Great x 3 Grandmother Mary Conroy who died in 1879 and is on the registers at St Robert.  However, she is not at St Mary as I anticipated.  However, she was living at Woodhorn in last census before death - do you know if there is an RC cemetery near Woodhorn?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
There are not many RC cemeteries at all that I can think of but I will ask at the archives tomorrow.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
This is very kind of you Christine.  However, I have just this afternoon received some good news from another RootsChatter!

Apparently, my Great x 3 Grandmother Mary Conroy is buried at St Mary.  I have been supplied with the date too.

I do thank you for having offered to help by asking about this.  RootsChatters are so kind and I now know when and where Mary is buried.  Her son Edward and his wife Mary are also there too apparently! 

Now, I can update my records with this new information! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
However, I have just this afternoon received some good news from another RootsChatter!

I know - I was there  ;D

But it's good to have 'closure' on ancestors and not always easy to do.  I have some which I swear are still walking this earth age 250  :-\

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 July 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Christine and River Tyne Lass

You know they MUST be buried somewhere, unless they fell off a ship or wandered off to very remote places. You THINK you'll find baptisms and marriages but not always!!!!

And I've learnt something from this quest. I was looking for a RC burial in a rural town where there was no RC burial ground and long before the local civil cemetery was established. Up till 1880, RC's were buried in the local C of E churchyard by the C of E minister. After the Burial Laws Amendment Act of 1880, you could have your own RC priest or non-Conformist minister take the ceremony. This might not be news for most of Rootschatters but it was for me, as I've hardly ever had to do RC genealogy for my family.

Keeps "the leetle grey cells" active anyway.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 July 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gen and Christine.

We learn something new on here every day it seems.

I think it is true that these genealogy quests help keep the little grey cells active!  Although, I had a bit of a blip yesterday in forgetting that you have already kindly sent me a link for the St Mary, burials. ::)

This is the first time I have come across Roman Catholic ancestors buried in Anglican ground.  It is great to know where they are buried even though they don't have gravestones. :D