Author Topic: Gavin Mowat b. c1857 Canisbay Caithness , on Census after 1861 ?  (Read 9008 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Census thanks
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 July 18 03:23 BST (UK) »
This one has almost the correct names but date way out  ???

Death...

MOUATT JEMIMA CATHERIN 13 (b c 1876)
685/4 407
St Giles

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 July 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
Didn't think Gavin would cause such a fuss ;)  1871 he is found as a farm servant living in Caithness with the Finlayson family.  I looked at freecen and could not find him after that date.
What made me think he was in Edinburgh was those lovely little ancestry hints :) Which could also be throwing me.
1881 should show if he was from Canisbay, Caithness or not.

Quite right about naming pattern, his grandfather was Benjamin Lyall, Grandmother Elizabeth Simpson.  Siblings, John, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Helen, Mary and James.  Father James Mowat and mother Jacobina/Benjamina Lyall.
I wouldn't know where Gavin came in as a name, most likely via his father's Mowat side.

Just trying to track all the children of Jacobinas and James to tidy away a few loose ends with my Lyall family.
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 July 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
Yes Suzy, the 1881 census says he is from Canisbay. Apologies I neglected to mention that earlier in my reply #3.

So you have his birth with parents James and Jacobina/Benjamins? (why such different forenames?)

If I were you I would purchase his marriage certificate and death certificate to compare parent's names. At least then you will know if you are following the same Gavin.

Can I ask again what led you to this particular Gavin? How sure are you that the farm servant Gavin is the right one? Have you looked for deaths in the area in case that Gavin did not go off to Edinburgh?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 July 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Both born "Obrig" Caithness....
Looks like a misreading/mistranscription of Olrig.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 July 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
 Jacobina Lyall, 09 May 1819; citing , reference , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 990,520, 844,777. parents Benjamin Lyall and Elizabeth Simpson

James Mowat and Jacobina Lyall, 23 Dec 1842; citing Canisbay,Caithness,Scotland, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 990,52

1851 states Jacobina, 1861 states Benjamina and then back to Jacobina by 1871.  She may of gone by her fathers name, or just a miss print in 1861.

I do see another Gavin born 1853 to Gavin Mowat and Janet Henderson in Caithness, so I wonder if that is him in Edinburgh and not my Gavin? 
I haven't found any deaths at this point, if so it will be between 1861 and 1871 in Canisbay.

I guess that will narrow hunting down quite a bit.

Thanks
Suzy W
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 July 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
Annie found a death at her reply #12.

Depending on accuracy of dates, this one might be the 1853 one you found with parents Gavin and Janet. :-\

Might be worth using some credits to view it if only to eliminate him and sort out the Gavins. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 July 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Children (Mother recorded as Benjamina on all pre 1855)
John 1843
Elizabeth 1847
Benjamin 1848
Helen 1851
Mary 1854

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 July 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
I do see another Gavin born 1853 to Gavin Mowat and Janet Henderson in Caithness, so I wonder if that is him in Edinburgh and not my Gavin? 

Either way it's difficult to work out as the names of children on the census' Ruskie found, don't link to the names of their parents.

Possible births?
MOWAT GAVIN 1885
685/3 820 Canongate

MOUATT MARION 1886 (although doesn’t fit age on 1891 census)?
685/3 855 Canongate

MOWATT JOHN 1893
685/3 1173 Canongate

The marriage Ruskie found will give both sets of parents as I doubt there's any other way to work it out?

MOWAT GAVIN & MOWAT CATHERINE 1882
685/5 170 Newington

Furthermore, there are a lot of Mowat (with variants) children born in same area with surnames as middle names, would be good to know the forename & m/s of Catherine’s mother, providing they're the correct couple?

Then the 1911 will tell you how many children they had & how many were still living as there seems to be a big gap when you consider the norm of the time?

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
I agree Annie. I would say it is definitely time to buy some credits at SP.  :)

I am still interested to know what led Suzy to Gavin. (eg. was a Gavin Mowat named as a father on his child's marriage or d/c? If so was the mother named too? Was she Catherine? ....)