Author Topic: Burials in Skipton  (Read 2626 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials in Skipton
« on: Monday 02 July 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I am still trying to untangle my Wright family in Skipton. Isaac Wright died at 4 Southfield Terrace in Skipton on the 21st of June 1914, he was 76 years old.

I have been told that he was buried in Skipton but can't find out if this is right. After he died his wife Sarah nee Smith moved to south London to live with her daughter and I know from my great aunt that she was there in the early 1920s. I can't find out when Sarah died, there are simply too many 'Sarah Wrights' in London and so I am hoping that she might be buried with Isaac or mentioned on his grave stone. Once I have a date then I have a chance of finding out what happened to her and so I am hoping to find out where he was buried.

I don't know Skipton and am getting nowhere trawling through the internet so I am hoping that someone on this site may be able to help me with some local knowledge.
Thank you
Alison

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Skipton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Might be worth contacting here, although they do charge for a search

https://www.cravendc.gov.uk/bereavement-services/burial-and-cremation-records/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
From the newspaper death notice, I found out that one of my great aunts was buried in Waltonwrays cemetery, Skipton in 1949.  The link that Groom posted re Craven District Council bereavement services search was the one I used in 2009.  They emailed a full plan of the cemetery with the grave plot number etc and informed me that there was no headstone.  Don't think I paid as much as £16 back in 2009.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you groom and tillypeg. I hadn't heard of them but will go and have a look now
Alison

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison.

Depending on status of wealth/social standing of the Wright family 1914 to say 1925 will give an idea as to if Sarah's coffin made the long journey North from S London to Skipton being an expensive undertake to the funeral cost and if so ! chances is high there would be a headstone on her grave in Skipton.

Your quest to find Isaac's widow Sarah Wright nee Smith death year and where. You mention her daughter who lived in London and Sarah was believed to be alive circa early 1920's in South London, if your can elaborate on this thread further, all you know of the daughters life, like her residence area of London and age of Sarah at her marriage to Isaac with year of marriage (1868 ? from your other threads)

If the daughter and Sarah are together on the electoral registers address S London early 1920's  - then the year Sarah disappears off the Electoral Register (E R) ? will give you a starting point. (reason for a disappearance off a E R - could be death or moved into a local care home.)

The more info you give ? the more chance RC members can research for a result of Sarah's demise year.

(To give you an idea ! Say Sarah died in Lambeth London, and by chance, an enthusiastic to help  member of RC could just happen live near Lambeth Library where the 1920's Lambeth ER's are kept.)

:)
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi dobfarm, thank you for the reply.

The wealth and status of Sarah's daughter Elsie and her husband are a bit of a mystery. The husband George Herbert Leather had come from a prosperous Leeds family and Elsie had been housekeeper to George and his wife Gertrude and when Gertrude died in 1926 Elsie married George.

My great aunt Joan visited Elsie and Sarah in London when she was a very young child, about five or six years old, Joan was born in 1921 so that must have been soon after Elsie married George.

George Leather had been affluent (a land agent and surveyor) but he wasn't good with money and it was all gone by the time Joan knew him and I can't find any wills for him or Elsie. I don't know where Sarah was from 1914 until about 1926.

George died in Camberwell in 1935 and four years later in the 1939 register Elsie was living alone at 25 Gypsy Hill.

You are right about the year that Isaac and Sarah got married, it was 1868 in Ampleforth. The two families had been living in that area for generations. Isaac was a master brick maker and stayed in the area until they appear to have moved to Skipton/Gargrave to join their sons Arthur and Ernest there. Money aside I feel that Sarah would have either been in the the grave with Isaac or at least mentioned on the headstone.

The trouble is that I don't know much more but am determined to find out and so any help or advice would be great.
Thanks
Alison

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Assuming Sarah was about the same age as Isaac in 1914, (76 ish) daughter Elsie the house keeper of George & Gertrude Leather, its doubtful Sarah being an old lady, would have gone to live with the Leather household in 1914 being Elsie a servant of the household and even more in Gertrude's eye. (Having said that -its was war time ? )

Where was Elsie 1911 census
 Where was George & Gertrude Leather 1911 c
 Did Isaac and Sarah have any other children living in the Skipton area 1914
 Did your great aunt Joan born 1921 know the address or area of London she visited George Leather, Elsie and Sarah in 1926 ish
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
This would put Elsie Wright! (if a spinster housekeeper) in Leeds 1913 if she worked for George H Leather in 1913

A newspaper Death 1913

Manchester Courier & Lancashire advertiser

Tuesday Jan 7th 1913

Births marriages and Deaths

Deaths

LEATHER - On the 3rd of January, at Heliopolis, Egypt, aged 32 Roland Sutcliffe (middle name ?), dearly loved son of George Herbert Leather of Wyther, Armley, Leeds

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census shows Elsie working for both George and Gertrude in Armley, Leeds. My great aunt Joan didn't give us the address in London and sadly is no longer here to ask. I think that you are right, I can't imagine the housekeeper having her elderly mother to live with her.
I had no idea that Sarah had gone to London until I saw something written by my great aunt about how Elsie wasn't always kind to them and their grandmother (Sarah) intervened.
Elsie must have started working for them between 1891 and 1911 in Leeds and then moved down to London with them.
Isaac and Sarah had four surviving children, the two sons moved to Skipton. There was another Isaac Wright there but I assume that he was a coincidence.