Author Topic: Charles Bright, b1861 Luton, d1941 Luton  (Read 2008 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Bright, b1861 Luton, d1941 Luton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
I have his death certificate in Luton, 11 Jan 1941, with daughter as witness, although I can find no relatives in Luton at that time.

Died at 11a Dunstable Road. Which was the address of St Mary's Hospital (formerly the local workhouse). Left a will. Have you got it?
On your tree you have a copy of the 1886 marriage of Charles Bright and Elizabeth Gardner, and it says he was a bachelor.
You also have him in 1871 as a 24* year old living in Tottenham, married to Mary, so what happened to her? There's a death in Barnet in 1884 of a Mary Ann Bright, age 26, not much else!

*Or is it really 20?
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
There's a death in Barnet in 1884 of a Mary Ann Bright, age 26

Baptism at Friern Barnet, 22 January 1884
Charles Frederick
parents Charles Frederick + Mary Ann Bright
abode 3 Sussex Terrace
father a Labourer
In the margin - aged 1 yr 7 mo

That's in the same quarter as the Barnet death registration.

Offline davidm_uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
@Millipede "Who was the witness just out of interest?  It might be useful or provide a helpful link you never know." Witness was Mary Barrett. She is in the 1861 census with spouse William and son Charles living in Upper George Street, so maybe a neighbour at the time of Joseph's death. I don't see anything that might be relevant on that page, or adjacent pages.

@jonw65 "Died at 11a Dunstable Road. Which was the address of St Mary's Hospital (formerly the local workhouse). Left a will. Have you got it?" I didn't know that 11a Dunstable Road was a hospital/workhouse - thanks! [added: Union Workhouse, Luton (1835 - 1930)] Cause of death was senile decay, which fits. Yes I have the will, plus a subsequent Deed of Family Arrangement which lists all of his children and their addresses, and these tie in with the 1939 register entries.

"On your tree you have a copy of the 1886 marriage of Charles Bright and Elizabeth Gardner, and it says he was a bachelor." Yes, but he has son Charles Frederick born before that marriage, and GRO Search gives his sons's mother's maiden name as Collins, hence my interest in finding out about her (but not enough interest to buy the marriage cert to check the details).

"You also have him in 1871 as a 24* year old living in Tottenham, *Or is it really 20?" As noted previously, my mistype, he married in Q1 1881 and appears aged 20 in the 1881 census in Tottenham.

"There's a death in Barnet in 1884 of a Mary Ann Bright, age 26, not much else!
Charles Frederick
abode 3 Sussex Terrace
father a Labourer
In the margin - aged 1 yr 7 mo

That's in the same quarter as the Barnet death registration."
So maybe Mary Ann dies then Charles remarries in 1866. Charles Frederick Bright appears in the 1939 register in Stoke Newington, born 3/6/1882, with father Charles born 4/7/1861.

So I'm still missing Charles from the 1871 census, and have the issues surrounding his parents.
Miller, Hare, Smith, Adnam, Clark, Bright, Gardner

Offline davidm_uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
"There's a death in Barnet in 1884 of a Mary Ann Bright, age 26, not much else!
Charles Frederick
abode 3 Sussex Terrace
father a Labourer
In the margin - aged 1 yr 7 mo"

The Charles Bright (b1861 Luton) never appears in any documents that I have as Charles Frederick Bright, so I think that Friern Barnet Bright is a different family. My Charles Frederick remains with the family in the 1891-1911 census, he marries Maud Florence Rayment in 1914, and they are both in the 1939 Register at the same address as Charles (b1901) in Stoke Newington.
Miller, Hare, Smith, Adnam, Clark, Bright, Gardner