Author Topic: Railroad crews around February 1898 Crows Nest pass  (Read 800 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railroad crews around February 1898 Crows Nest pass
« on: Monday 02 July 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a crew working on the railroad led by an Archie Campbell

Attached image is from February 1898 There are no notes on reverse of the image

An online search of his name finds nothing and so far no images that seem to link his crew.

Given the number of images from that time and records kept by CPR I thought there may be more detail.  A search of CPR info online yields no results.

We know my great uncle, Thomas Handcock Pope, was working on bridge building in western USA and Canada as early as 1887 and was in the Kootenay region in the 1901 Canada census.  In 1914 he is in New Westminster BC and listed as a Bridgeman. By 1921 he is in Quesnel,Cariboo,British Columbia and listed as a carpenter and appears to be living with a large group with varied trades.  Interestingly there appears to be a husband and wife named Campbell with this group.  Duncan Steward Campbell born abt 1867 in Scotland is listed as "Head" and is a cook.  Henrietta Jane Campbell born about 1875 in Quebec is simply listed as a lodger.  Perhaps the Campbell name is simply a coincidence.

As the image came from a collection of my grandmother, we assume Thomas may have been part of Archie Campbell's crew. 

We have had a number of successes posting an image and finding someone with the same or similar image that the original owner had noted details on the image.  Fingers crossed
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Railroad crews around February 1898 Crows Nest pass
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
On the Family Search site I found a marriage for Duncan Stewart Campbell  estimated year of birth 1866,birthplace Blair Athol, Perthshire Scotland. Bachelor , Father Alexander Campbell,Mother Susan Stewart. Spouse's name Henrietta Jane Sweetman . Henrietta had been married before according to the marriage record.

The is also a death registration for Duncan Stewart Campbell DOD 12 Nov. 1936 Vancouver BC age 71,  married, DOB 23 Sept. 1863. Father Alexander Campbell, mother Susan Stewart, spouse Henrietta Jane Campbell.

Hope this helps

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
 Correction for Henrietta her father was Peter Perry Hawley  1842-1900 looks like someone spelled his name the way it sounded. No wonder I could not find a record for him.
DOB for Henrietta 12 March,1874

Lilybell

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Found Archie Campbell on the 1901 Canadian census  British Columbia,  Yale Cariboo, District Slocan Riding who could be your man.

Archie Campbell 36 years DOB May 13,1864 born Ontario labourer on RR  living with several other boarders who are also railroad labours. Could be that some of these other workers were the ones on his crew. There names are on the census along with Archie.

:-

Lilybell

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Looks like Duncan Stewart Campbell signed up with the CEF in WW1. The link below has his complete military file from Library and Archives Canada. It is very slow to load.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1429-S033

PB

Added: a wee correction if I may? I believe Henrietta Jane Campbell was born in Ontario?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Some more information on Archie Campbell

James Archibald Campbell born Perth, Ontario, 14 June 1864. Father James Campbell, Mother Margaret McGinnis. This date is off by a month on 1901 census.

Archie married Eva Jane Fenton 2 Dec. 1891 North Cypress, Manitoba.They had several children. Eva born ca 1864 Flint, Michigan. DOD 25 March 1945 Washington USA.

Archie and Eva are both buried at Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver BC. According to a death registration for Archie he had been living in BC since  about 1903.

I have not found a DOD or a place of death for Henrietta Jane.

Hope this all helps in your search.

Lilybell.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Duncan Stewart Campbell Vancouver Province Pg. 21 1936

Campbell-Nov. 12, 1936 Duncan Stewart Campbell, 175 East Broadway in his seventy-second year.
Survived by hos wife and two sisters.
Funeral service from the Chapel of Mount Pleasant Undertaking Co. Rev A. E. Close officiating.
Internment in the Returned Soldiers Plot. Please omit flowers.

Lilybell