Author Topic: H. Waldow HOOD, Surgeon To Matilda Rosetta MEYNOYO - Any Info please?  (Read 427 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

Found the following in a book under 1812:-

In London, Mr H. Waldrow Hood, Surgeon, son of the late Rev. Robert Hood of Holbeach, to Miss Matilda Rosetta Meynoyo, youngest daughter of Mr. Ralph Meynoyo, merchant of London, and a commissary-general at Cadiz.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=kbOs5Ap8i-0C&pg=PA565&lpg=PA565&dq=Meynoyo&source=bl&ots=e7-TwOj83o&sig=5_bPbk1krLlBC23UKGiOJCpdDiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiPv-XSoYHcAhVN6KQKHbTfBRQQ6AEwAHoECAAQAQ

I had never heard of H. Waldrow Hood and be interested in anything further about the Marriage or the couple, especially H. Waldrow HOOD?

ADDED: This appears to be his death
27 July 1821. On Tuesday last, aged 33, Mr H. W. Hood, surgeon and apothecary, of Holbeach.

There is a link to the transcript of the PCC 1811 Will of the Rev. Robert Hood, Clerk of Holbeach (at the bottom of the page in the link)
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Holbeach

Thank you, Mark

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: H. Waldrow HOOD, Surgeon To Matilda Rosetta MEYNOYO - Any Info please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
A google suggests that his name appears as Henry Waldow Hood in other places, including an 1821 memorial to him at Holbeach (died 24 July 1821, aged 32).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: H. Waldow HOOD, Surgeon To Matilda Rosetta MEYNOYO - Any Info please?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
A google suggests that his name appears as Henry Waldow Hood in other places, including an 1821 memorial to him at Holbeach (died 24 July 1821, aged 32).

Thank you, he is the right chap.

His late Father, Rev. Robert Hood was also linked to the Guyhirn Chapel, Wisbech, a Puritan Church of 1660.
https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/guyhirn-chapel.html

1 Feb 1811
On Sunday the 13th ult. in Spittle-fields, London, in the 77th year of his age, ... the Rev. Robert Hood, M.A. Curate of Guyhirn Chapel, in the Parish of Wisbech St Mary, and Master of the Grammar-school at Holbeach, in this county. He was appointed to that situation on the death of the late Rev. Richard Gibson, M.A. who died Oct. 1st, 1783.-  ... The right of nomination of Guyhirn Chapel is in the gift of the Rev. Abraham Jobson, D.D. Vicar of Wisbech St Peter's with St. Mary's annexed; and the school of Holbeach is in the gift of Feoffees, with a proviso that no one should be admitted to the mastership of the said school but a Graduate of one of the universities of Oxford or Cambridge.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
According to Google, Henry Waldow HOOD, Son of Robert HOOD and Martha MOWBRAY

Claire found a William Mowbray Hood, birth 1846.

So this Mowbray HOOD I have from newspapers (below) might be related ...

Norfolk News, 10th May 1845
On Friday. May 2nd, ...
Same day, at Wisbech, Mr Mowbray Hood, of Parson Drove, baker, to Miss Susan Ann Castle, of Sutton St. Edmunds.

Stamford Mercury, 1 August 1845
To be Let, and Entered upon Immediately, A DWELLING-HOUSE and BAKEHOUSE, with outbuildings, at Parson Drove, near Wisbech, now in the occupation of Mr. Mowbray Hood.
For Particulars enquire upon the Premises.

Cambridge Chronicle and Journal, and Huntingdonshire Gazette, 28 March 1846
Isle of Ely,
Deaths.
On the 19th instant, at Parson Drove, aged 24, Mr. Mowbray Hood, baker.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
Henry Waldow HOOD death/burial, Holbeach, page 8

An Account Of The Churches In The Division of Holland In The County of Lincoln
https://archive.org/stream/lincolnsirechur00lewigoog

What has prompted another look at the HOODs in this area, was George HOOD of Scarborough, Mariner, paying Duty for an Apprentice in 1737, called Joseph STRUGGELLS of Kirton in Lincoln. (TNA, Kew, reference IR 1/15, folio 163).

Believed to be Joseph STRUGGLES, baptised January 1726 at Kirton in Holland.

Mark