Author Topic: Chatting with other family historians during RO visits.  (Read 1874 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Chatting with other family historians during RO visits.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Just having the father's name on a baptism is better than no parents names, as on occasions I have found registers with just the date of baptism and name of the person baptised, thus finding it very hard to prove parentage unless you have other documents such as a will, poor law record etc.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Chatting with other family historians during RO visits.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Years ago when I first started doing a family tree and not really knowing what I was doing,  I was standing next to the IGI cabinet at the archives, and had a what now seems to be  a funny converstion with somone.

He asked me what I was looking for so I said Alice May Ladlow, he said " what does Joe Bloggs think ? " When I said I didn`t know who Joe Bloggs was he said it was him !!!  Apparently he was doing a one name study of all the Ladlows in that area and he took my phone number saying he would ring if he found anything; I never heard from him so I concluded this was wrong and taught me a lesson in not taking family memories as always being right.

When I sent for the marriage certificate, one of my " common " names so had trouble sorting out the husband, it showed a big surprise that my Mum and auntie didn`t know, Alice was illegitmate and her mother`s name only was on the cert. She lived with her father and his new wife who he married when Alice was 4.