Author Topic: Another great find  (Read 621 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Another great find
« on: Monday 02 July 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
I had another great find today  -  video of gg-grandpa's [John Ennis] farm in Wisconsin as it is now.  The land was donated by one of his descendants to form part of the John Muir/Ennis Lake Park in Marquette County.  They've even preserved a little piece of the stone wall of the original barn built, I suppose, in the 1850s - 60s by gg-grandpa and his numerous sons.  John Ennis was one of the first settlers in the area, arriving in 1848.  But his name has been eclipsed by the much more famous John Muir whose father had the property on the other side of Ennis Lake [at least that insignificant pond still bears the ancestral name].   The bit of barn wall has allowed me to pretty much pinpoint the location of gg-grandpa's house.  Up till now, I only knew that it was somewhere at the west end of the lake.  As it transpired, the Muirs picked up moved on but the Ennises, McGwins and Egglestons stayed and preserved the land.

https://muirboyhoodhome.oncell.com/en/site-2-egglestonmuir-and-ice-age-113414.html
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis