Author Topic: Advice required - Internet Security Suites  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice required - Internet Security Suites
« on: Tuesday 03 July 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Advice required please! - Internet Security Suites.  Currently using Kaspersky - which I’ve used for a number of years.  Nice thing for me (being of mature years!)  - it runs in the background and deals with whatever comes along - and me, being non-tekkie - there’s very little for me to do.  Now, it’s starting to get a bit temperamental (I renew it every year) and it seems to mainly involve messages stating that a ‘Dangerous URL’ has been blocked.  Think this has something to do with ‘Certificates’.  Only problem is, in one instance I’ve not been able to access my email account - fortunately, I can still do so thanks to the iPod.  It also blocked me from accessing a local forum that I use daily.

I think it’s for me to change to another program which, hopefully, will be a bit more user-friendly for seniors! Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, John

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required - Internet Security Suites
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I've been well served by Norton for some years, my only complaint being that they seem to charge more to renew the subscription than to buy a new one  >:( 

On the plus side, my subscription currently covers 5 devices.

Many people seem to manage happily with one of the free packages such as Avast or AVG but as I use my PC for business I'm extra careful.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
MM  :)

I have Kaspersky on my Mac as it was recommended for Macs. I do get a pop up at various times advising me that the site is suspect (sometimes Google, sometimes even Rootschat, etc. All OK sites). I'ts a bit like the Firefox warnings. I click on the ignore button on the pop up and carry on. I think it's a known fault!

Like Mike, we use Norton on our PCs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
There is a move to push all internet sites onto secure connections even when they don't capture any personal data. The trouble is that setting up the security certificate is another potential point of failure. People either get it wrong on set up or forget to renew it. I have even had the BBC reported for a day or two.

Sadly Kaspersky, or any other firewall, can't distinguish an innocent mistake from a genuinely suspect site.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
It can be a bit of a shock when you get these messages. The difficult bit is knowing whether it is really an issue or just an out of date security certificate . . . or something.  I've had warnings on my own web site a couple of times. It seems that someone had reported a virus on a completely different site and Norton had put a blanket warning on the whole server just in case  :-\
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 05:50 BST (UK) »
The number on the program is: 19.0.0.1088(a)

Thanks for all the replies – much appreciated!  Gadget: yes, I get the warnings that a site is ‘suspect’ and, like you, I ignore them. I was more concerned at my email program became, seemingly being ‘unavailable’.  Methinks it more important to be in awe of the internet, than to worry about some of the ‘problems’ one encounters.  Well, as they say, onwards and upwards!  :D
John

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 July 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi.
So many anti-virus programmes, some of which are malignant, use enormous ammounts of memory to run and have continual 'pop-ups'. Have not had a problem, touch wood' for many years, using just Windows Defender as supplied on Windows (10) and what I can not do without is MALWAREBYTES.
Disclaimer only a happy user!  I bought the Professional Edition for life, so I have no on-going fees. It will produce a message if it finds a bad URL. It is up to you to continue. Should expand to say, it blocks 'bad' sites. The Professional is always running in the background. So just run and forget - until that 'bad site' hits you. Worst attack I have ever had was while looking up the words of a Scottish song. You just never know. They also send a regular email of what's happening. Sit back, grab your chair arms, and see how we are being attacked constantly. Keep safe.
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.

guest189040

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
I would echo Tasman1, well sort of.

Use Malwarebytes for sure.

Windows Defender, no, why trust Microsoft when they cannot provide a secure product?

When you next come to renew Kaspersky (it is by far better than Norton which is resource hungry) then totally uninstall the old version, use Ccleaner to remove unwanted and unsued Registry entries as well as a full Malwarebytes scan, then install Kaspersky (I buy the three year license).