Poll

What Country is your main research centred on ?

England and Wales
1817 (49.8%)
Ireland
749 (20.5%)
Scotland
688 (18.9%)
Emmigrants
244 (6.7%)
Immigrants
151 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 2500

Author Topic: What Country is your research ?  (Read 283598 times)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: What Country is your research ?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 October 04 00:37 BST (UK) »
Most of my family came to Wales from Devon in the late C19th.  Interestingly I also have a Norwegian and an Australian thrown into the mix to liven things up.   ;D And make me tear my hair out.  >:(

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 October 04 12:56 BST (UK) »
My grandmothers side came from Norfolk but one or two moved to Canada ( have yet to research this line).
My grandfathers side are from Lancashire
My father was Dutch and my children were born in Berlin, Leeds, Minden West Germany and Milton Keynes.

Now.......where did i leave my big earings and head scarf?
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 October 04 18:11 BST (UK) »
On both my mother'sand father's side most of my research is centred round the county of Montgomeryshire (now Powys), Wales.  Quite a boring tree as all my mother's ancestors were from the Newtown area and my father's were from Llanidloes, although one set of GGGG Grandparents originated from Ysutumen, Cardiganshire - but still Wales ;D

I do have a few exceptions though - two GG Uncles emigrated to New Zealand, and another to the USA.  Makes it a bit more interesting  :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 03 October 04 11:52 BST (UK) »
I started off in Manchester where my parents were born, then the route diverts and disects with my grandparents to Staffordshire,Worcestershire and Lancashire,then on to Cumbria,Derbyshire,Yorkshire, Lincolnshire Cheshire, and Buckinghamshire,branching off to Canada,USA,New Zealand,Australia,South Africa and Argentina. My wife's tree also starts in Manchester then on to Argyll,Midlothian,Berwickshire,Ireland,Hertfordshire. then off to Canada,New Zealand and the USA. No wonder my daughters have the travelling 'bug'.

Tom G

Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 14:09 BST (UK) »
Well,god job I noticed this flying past.My main interest for the past year has been a one name chase,simple eh??It seems so on starting,then you find out the name starts in Scandinavia,in that hairy Viking mob,chewbacca,s all,goes all over the Continong,gives old Angleterre a good wellying,Welsh Wales as well,then not content with that lot,needs to add old Ireland to round things off!!Add to all this,young Oliver Cromwell and others of similar persuasion got rid of a few as exiles
and undesirables to the New Worlds then available,others jumped back to the more friendly arms of Continental rulers.
 It has been said before, I,ll say it again family history bites deeper than a Butchers dog!!
                Regards to all,
                       George.

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 October 04 20:02 BST (UK) »

Am at  a standstill for information on my ancestors!
   Most of my info is from the LDS and it has proven to be inaccurate and confusing. Other sites [ Ancestry.com ] charge a fee and I am not ready to give up on free sites, but don't have the computer know-how to dig them up.
     So far Rootschat has given me the most in general info that I have found.
           I enjoy reading and seeing photos of England and wish there was more on Scotland.
                                Renee
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland

Offline J. Robertson_r5825

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 October 04 02:15 BST (UK) »
I only have one, Scotland. (Tho his wife, Susannah Johnson might be from Scotland - can't find anything on her!)
Joseph Rainey Robertson, b. "1760-1780 in Scotland", tho, from the date he married Susannah Johnson, 24 N0v 1795, in Madison Co, KY.  I would suspect him born 1775 =/- 3 years . That could make her an immigrant, Native American Indian or born somewhere in the area.
I don't know.
I have  some possible  places,:
>>Hamilton, Lanark, 1774 of James B. Robertson and Violet Hamilton;
 >>Rhynie and Essie, 1776 , of of Joseph M. and Agnes  Pirie;
Being long before the census' began, it is hard to find any confirmation or denial for these.
I have no idea when where how, or why Joseph left Scotland, nor where, when, or how he arrived in the USA, and Kentucky.

Robertson/Robinson, Johnson, Ziegner, Gibbs,  my line.
Moore, Bolton, Estes, Collins,  wife's line

Offline Aussiechick

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 18 October 04 09:32 BST (UK) »
england and australia
Heyworth,Diggle,Byrd,Ashley and Yardley

Offline booger

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 19 October 04 09:56 BST (UK) »
What you have to remember about the IGI is that it relies on people submitting accurate information. I'm LDS and I use the site a lot - I ALWAYS order copies of the original documents to verify any claims before I go any further.

It's just a shame that other people are incapable or just can't be bothered to verify any details they submit to the IGI. It makes me wonder if these are the same people who claim to have traced their family trees back to nobility or say that they share common ancestry with George Bush!

I can't really see a way around this problem, but the IGI is a really useful resource so long as you realize that some people are sloppy and need a good slap around the head, with a large print quad, for submitting such rubbish. Thankfully, I haven't encountered any problems with it...yet.

;)

Kris.

Am at  a standstill for information on my ancestors!
   Most of my info is from the LDS and it has proven to be inaccurate and confusing. Other sites [ Ancestry.com ] charge a fee and I am not ready to give up on free sites, but don't have the computer know-how to dig them up.
     So far Rootschat has given me the most in general info that I have found.
           I enjoy reading and seeing photos of England and wish there was more on Scotland.
                                Renee