Author Topic: Mystery photo - celebration concert to mark the end of WW1?  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery photo - celebration concert to mark the end of WW1?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 July 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
are those bathing huts to the right of the photo?
There's an old bathing machine backed up to the stage - you can see one of its wheels.

I agree Shaun & I thought I could see more wheels by the huts to the right. I'm still intrigued by the object that appears to be on top of a pedestal  :-\ (on the right of the stage & in the crowd)
Keith

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 July 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
The Union Flag is upside down or back to front by the way, deliberate or accident - who knows!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
The Union Flag is upside down or back to front by the way, deliberate or accident - who knows!

MaxD

Thanks Max - I hadn't noticed that before - blimey there's a lot going on with this image.
Keith

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Has someone already mentioned it's the Green Ensign?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 July 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
Has someone already mentioned it's the Green Ensign?

Yes - Reply #5
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 July 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
are those bathing huts to the right of the photo?
There's an old bathing machine backed up to the stage - you can see one of its wheels.

I agree Shaun & I thought I could see more wheels by the huts to the right. I'm still intrigued by the object that appears to be on top of a pedestal  :-\ (on the right of the stage & in the crowd)
Keith

It seems to be directed towards the stage, and have a kind of chimney on top. Could it be a portable limelight to direct lighting onto the stage (covered to protect it from the weather, but with a vent). Since it is daylight, presumably it is not in use so not dangerous to stand next to.

None of the audience seem to carry flags or pins, (nor smiling that much at all!), so I don't think its a celebration like Empire Day or a Coronation. The lack of young men also suggests it wasn't a 'holiday', but probably a normal working day with some Irish touring troupe (called "W.B.") entertaining people on a beach somewhere. It could have been a political lecture with entertainment thrown in to draw the crowds.

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
It seems to be directed towards the stage, and have a kind of chimney on top. Could it be a portable limelight to direct lighting onto the stage (covered to protect it from the weather, but with a vent). Since it is daylight, presumably it is not in use so not dangerous to stand next to.

None of the audience seem to carry flags or pins, (nor smiling that much at all!), so I don't think its a celebration like Empire Day or a Coronation. The lack of young men also suggests it wasn't a 'holiday', but probably a normal working day with some Irish touring troupe (called "W.B.") entertaining people on a beach somewhere. It could have been a political lecture with entertainment thrown in to draw the crowds.

The only person I can see who is smiling (I think) is the shorter man on stage. The more I look at him the more wonder if he was an escapology act (are his arms pinned behind his back?) Houdini was said to be 5ft 5ins - I think I'm getting a bit carried away now  ??? :P
Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 October 19 15:40 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if the initials could be "WB"...a brewery maybe...Watneys...Worthingtons?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU