Author Topic: Gravestone symbol  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone symbol
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 July 18 02:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM!

I now understand why there's no death cert!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 July 18 02:47 BST (UK) »
Possibly something here?

http://headstonesymbols.co.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
In the NSW Registers of Coroners’ Inquests and Magisterial Inquiries which Ancestry has uploaded as part of their current commercial partnership with NSW Archives, there’s many images, including a page showing a number of entries in early 1855.

(at entry no) 9560
(at an enquiry in the police district of the) Manning River
(a death occurred on or about) 21 February 1855
(the deceased has been identified as) James JOHNSTON,
(and at that enquiry led by) Hawthorne JP
(which was held on) 6 March 1855
(the cause of death was determined to be due to a) Fall of a Tree

No mention of where the burial occurred.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neilhilt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:26 BST (UK) »
I like the way you knock over those "brick walls" JM  Neil
Smith - Ayrshire, Pyrmont, Newtown.  Dunsmore - Ayrshire.  Fyfe - Lanarkshire.  Patterson - Hunter Valley, Goulburn.  Rex - Yorkshire, Hobart.  Colbran - Sussex, Hawkesbury.  Lovell - Somerset, Marsfield.  Gallard - Kent,  Marsfield.  Sherriff - Angushire.  Cussen.  Dean - Mudgee.  Hill - Somerset, Gulgong

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:28 BST (UK) »
I make a habit of it, and so too does Annie.   :)

Oops, fingers pressed send too early.

ADD
If we can understand the context, then we are half way to advancing the quest...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 July 18 03:29 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the 'symbol' is actually 2 J's facing in opposite directions i.e for J J (James Johnston)  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Johnmccallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 August 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Very interesting

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
I like the JJ interpretation and also wondered if the mason had taken artistic licence,, combining  the man's initials with a horseshoe.

I have a farrier in one of my lines and here's my understanding of the trade:-

"In the British Army, the Household Cavalry have farriers who march in parade in ceremonial dress, carrying their historical axes with spikes. They are a familiar sight at the annual Trooping the Colour. There is also a farrier on call "round the clock, twenty-four hours a day, at Hyde Park Barracks".

In the United Kingdom, the Worshipful Company of Farriers is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. The Farriers, or horseshoe makers, organised in 1356. It received a Royal Charter of incorporation in 1571. Over the years, the Company has evolved from a trade association for horseshoe makers into an organisation for those devoted to equine welfare, including veterinary surgeons."

The extremely large axe the army farriers carried were to dispatch the animals under their care during early warfare for example.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 August 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
"I like the JJ interpretation and also wondered if the mason had taken artistic licence,, combining  the man's initials with a horseshoe."

Rena, I felt the open part (if a horseshoe) was too narrow but indeed with artistic licence it could be interpreted in that way possibly although I'm not convinced on the 'JJ' theory I put across  :-\

Annie