Author Topic: A relative who looks like Gareth Southgate  (Read 2056 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: A relative who looks like Gareth Southgate
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Well it looks from the 1851 as though James Southgate 1846 MMN Carter is the son of Thomas Southgate from Hadleigh (transcribed Ardleigh but I'm sure it's Hadleigh) and Ruth born Nayland, Suffolk the same place as a wife Martha in later censuses - because a Thomas Southgate married a Ruth Carter (or any of 3 other women of course, but none called Ruth) the previous quarter same district.

I can't find a nearby marriage of a Thomas to a Martha, maybe Ruth started using a different name - but that's not relevant to this search. There's another Thomas Southgate found in Colchester born late the next year (seemingly to William Southgate and Elizabeth nee Woods) but he seems a bit young to be the one in later censuses, and the Thos Southgates consistently work on the railways.

What this means is that John Southgate born c1824 Kirby-le-Soken is uinlikely to be a brother of Thomas Southgate b c1829 either of the Hadleighs but I think this needs someone with more experience of this area to contribute - I've never researched Essex or East Anglia before.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
Chris, you have been excellent.  That is about what I came up with.  I hope someone else will try as well.

Martin

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Well the World Cup football is over for another 4 years so why not spend the time helping me trace my relative's ancestry against Gareth Southgate. Any further help would be gratefully welcomed.

Martin