Author Topic: Help with Catholic Baptisms in Carlisle Cumberland 1860's  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Catholic Baptisms in Carlisle Cumberland 1860's
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 July 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
If the family lived in Abbey Street, they are likely to have used the Catholic Chapel in Chapel Street, which was the predecessor to Our Lady and St Joseph's church, and would have been only a 5 min walk for them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Cumbria Archive Service Catalogue (CASCAT)  under heading "Roman Catholic Church" lists  Our Lady and St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church, Carlisle 1867-2006. However, clicking on this catalogue entry reveals earlier registers.
Baptism registers: 1790-1827 (This volume includes marriages 1799-1827 and deaths 1799-1827.)
Baptism registers: 1828-1840; 1841-1894; 1856-1868; 1868-1882; then more voumes 1882-1949.
Marriage registers: 1841-1860; 1857-1949.
Burial/death registers: 1825-1849; 1856-1879; 1879 onwards to 1969.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Catholic Family History Society
 www.catholicfhs.co.uk
It has a North West branch.

The Catholic History Society has regional branches. North West Catholic History Society www.nwcatholichistory.org.uk

Some transcribed registers were published by The Catholic Record Society 100 years ago in their journals.
 catholicrecordsociety.co.uk
CRS Record Series on the website lists all publications until 2010. Some of these transcriptions were included in volumes called "Miscellanea" so it's necessary to look through the whole list. Some volumes can be read online on sites like the Internet Archive https://archive.org 
The Genealogist has a collection of CRS journals some of which contain registers. They can be searched using The Genealogist  "MasterSearch".

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 July 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
The Gen Guide is another useful site for family historians.
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/roman-catholic-registers-and-records/30

I clicked on "Diocesan archives" in a list further down page. This brought up a list of R.C. dioceses in Britain + map.  Lancaster Diocese now includes Cumbria, according to the diocese website, but this wouldn't always have been the case. 
Cowban

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 July 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Is there a way for me to access the CASCAT baptism registers for ST Josephs. I looked at the website and found the registers but images are not on-line.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
" An extensive list of parish register transcripts and indexes publications is available from the Cumbria Family History Society." (Page on CASCAT headed "Guide to Church Records")
Cumbria Family History Society  https://cumbriafhs.com
Choose heading"Shop" to see list of publications, then select a category. I had a quick look but saw no mention of Our Lady and St. Joseph. Transcriptions are done by volunteers.

Another source of free to view online transcriptions of parish registers is the Online Parish Clerks projects. This is also done by volunteers and is organised by county. (I make extensive use of Lancashire Online Parish Clerks, known as LANOPC, which is excellent and well-advanced.) Look at the list of resources under Cumberland on the English counties board to see if there's a link to Cumbria or Cumberland Online Parish Clerks. If there's no link then just google Online Parish Clerks Cumbria. LANOPC began with C. of E. registers and have only recently added some Catholic and Non Conformist ones.

If the registers are not online you could ask someone planning a visit to Carlise Archives to do a look-up. Post a request on the Cumberland board. Study the catalogue entries for Our Lady & St. Joseph in CASCAT before you frame your request since the years you want searched might be in more than 1 volume or run of registers. There are also missing years.

The baptisms you want should have mother's maiden name and state if the child's parents were married ("conjugam" or "conj" in Latin). Child's, parents' and godparents forenames might be in Latin or English, depending on the custom of the priest. Surnames will be in English.

Researching Catholic family history in England is not straightforward.   :) Lots of guidance on Catholic FHS and GenGuide websites.

Cowban

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 July 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Is there a way for me to access the CASCAT baptism registers for ST Josephs. I looked at the website and found the registers but images are not on-line.

If you don't have any joy with the online records, I'll check the microfische records for you, but it might not be until later next week or the week after, if that's any help?
J
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Linda Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 July 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
That would be great thank you

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 July 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
If the family lived in Abbey Street, they are likely to have used the Catholic Chapel in Chapel Street, which was the predecessor to Our Lady and St Joseph's church, and would have been only a 5 min walk for them.
St. Mary & St. Joseph, Chapel Street, Carlisle, founded pre 1881 and Roman Catholic Chapel, City Wall, known to have existed 1821 are on GENUKI church database. Accompanying maps show location of each church. According to GENUKI exact site of the 1821 chapel is not certain but was also quite near Abbey Street. Was the old chapel succeeeded by St. Mary & St. Joseph which was in turn replaced by Our Lady & St. Joseph or did any of them co-exist for a time ? (GENUKI says closure date unknown.) Overlap of years in registers might be explained by more than 1 church operating in the parish.

Cowban