Author Topic: 44 Pinewood Ave., Toronto, Ontario  (Read 572 times)

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
44 Pinewood Ave., Toronto, Ontario
« on: Wednesday 04 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Where this house stood is now a small park.   Does anyone know what happened to the house.
It was certainly there in 1956.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 44 Pinewood Ave., Toronto, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 July 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Toronto Public Library might be able to assist  ???

Sandra

Added :- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=755653.0
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
This is Humewood Park, goggle should yield some information.  As to what happened to house?  It was obviously demolished as well as others to make the park.

Exact date...contact Toronto Parks & Rec. they should be able to tell you when but by the look of the trees quite some time ago.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.  Sorry I did not explain well enough.  Demolition is, of course, obvious but I wonder why. The other houses look very substantial and they must have demolished houses on the next street to the West as well.  I have tried Parks dept. and they were unable to help. I also tried the Library and found that it needs a personal visit. Now that I am retired, I may try them again.  I was hoping I would find someone who had a personal knowledge.
Thanks again.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Yes the Humewood area looks nice, most over a million in value but it wasn't like this in 50's or 60's.  Like many neighborhoods along St. Clair they were getting tired.  What you are seeing today is revitalization; the tired old houses were sold cheaply in the 70's and those that purchased these began the restorations.  However, Humewood was not part of Toronto it was part the Borough of York. The City may have the archives after amalgamation I am not sure.

I think this is the department that can help answer questions. 

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/accountability-operations-customer-service/access-city-information-or-records/city-of-toronto-archives/whats-online/maps/

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting information Don.  The reason for my curiosity is that my step sister died in March 1956 at 42 Pinewood Ave.  At the moment I can only assume that either there was a huge fire or # 42 & 44 plus two more on the next street were purchased under a compulsory order.