Author Topic: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My GG Grandmother Ann Cox married Charles Porter in Howell on 14th May 1832 and I've found the marriage on Lincs to the Past and other sources, but the entry does not show her father.  On the various censuses her birth date varies between 1805 and 1806 and her place of birth also varies with Heckington in 1851 and then Great Hale in 1861 and 1871.  I can't find a matching baptism anywhere in Lincolnshire for  those years, but there is one from Heckington for 6th July 1803, with parents Benjamin and Elisabeth, so if I can find am alternative record of the marriage with Benjamin listed it would go some way to confirming I had the right Ann Cox.  Any suggestions?
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Marriages before the start of civil registration in 1837 do not show names of fathers.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
The witnesses could be relatives. Also, the names of their children might give clues. Did Benjamin have any other children or did he leave a will?

Just a few possible lines of investigation.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1851 census their second son was called Benjamin and first daughter was Elizabeth,  so it does look as if Benjamin and Elizabeth could well be Ann's parents.

Gadget

Add - ref is HO107/2101/217/55
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
from image
entry no 13
Marriage Howell Lincs
Charles Porter of this Parish Bachelor
Ann Cox of this Parish Spinster
were married by Banns
consent of necessary parties
married by Chas de la Cour curate
witnesses Ann Vickers (signed) William Trollop (made his mark) & W Squire ??K (he witnessed others on the page}

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1851 census their second son was called Benjamin and first daughter was Elizabeth,  so it does look as if Benjamin and Elizabeth could well be Ann's parents.

Add - ref is HO107/2101/217/55

Church street, Heckington
HO107/619/13/12/16

Benjamin Cox, 64, Ag Lab, b. County
William, 35, ag lab, -do-

And what looks like a son/poss brother - with similar named children to Ann and Charles

HO107/619/13/35/13

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
There is an online tree that gives Ann (1803- 1880)as the daughter of Benjamin Cox (1778-1846) and Elizabeth Mann (1775-1835)

I'm always sceptical about online trees but it looks well researched.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 23:22 BST (UK) »

Benjamin Cox of Heckington married Elizabeth Mann of Kirkby Laythorpe at Kirkby Laythorpe on 17 May 1802.

(I don't think the Benjamin b. circa 1800 was the son of Benjamin snr and brother of Ann. His father was probably a Joseph.)

Gadget

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
This is her burial, which gives her birth as 1803:

Annie Porter
All Saints, Rotherham
Birth year: 1803
Burial date: 31 Mar 1880

However the GRO has her Born c1805:
PORTER, ANN 75
GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in ROTHERHAM Volume 09C Page 374

David