Author Topic: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 July 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, Thanks for your help and I've checked again and I was right first time and the marriage you highlight from July 23rd 1866 is the correct one.  What threw me was the claim that Charles Porter (father of Benjamin) was a vet, when he was at best a hostler/horse dealer!  Looking at the GRO birth index Mary Ann Porter (b. 16/2/1867) was recorded with Flint as the mothers name, whilst the next 3 have Thackry, so not sure why the change?  There is also a fifth child missing as the 1911 census records 5 with 3 living and I know Lucy Ellen died in 1875, but so far I've not found them.
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Cox is there another marriage record apart from the Howell marriage record
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 July 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Ann and Thomas Flint had a daughter Emma (b. 1/12/1861) and who I think died in 1867, so perhaps she was the 5th child?
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 July 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
On the 1881, Emma is listed as step daughter to Benjamin. b.c. 1862.

RG11/4674/55/9
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 July 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Have you checked for inter-census births and deaths? Otherwise I'd say that Emma was counted in 1911.

(Emma) - b.c. 1862.
Joseph C -b.c. 1868
Mary A - b.c. 1867
Lucy E - b.c. 1870
Martha - b.c. 1873

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 July 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
I've just checked and find that those listed are the only ones registered.

Emma as Flint and the others as Porter, so it does look as if Emma was counted in the five.

Gadget

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
I have found the marriage for Emma Flint to George Marshall in Whiston on 1st August 1881 and they had a son Horace George who was born on 8th August 1882, but it looks like Emma died in August as there is a burial for an Emma Marshall aged 20 on August 17th, which suggest she died in childbirth.  The baptism record for Horace George on August 28th shows his parents as George and Emma so not sure if this signifies that she was still alive, but does have the initial PB alongside it and this signifies a private baptism, which was often used when a baby was not expected to survive and there is a burial for Horace George in Whiston on 7th December 1882.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London