Author Topic: North Blyth during WWII  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Brian Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
North Blyth during WWII
« on: Thursday 05 July 18 05:32 BST (UK) »
I was born @ 33 Worsdell Street North Blyth in Jan 1938.  I recall Travelling to school in Blyth on the small 'rope' ferry.  Our Neighbours were Mrs Nairn and Mr and Mrs Hardy.
I remember a wood yard owned by a Mr Marshall.
There was a large railway shed nearby and I recall quite a number of armed forces in the locality. I also recall an 'Institute' building where dances were held.
Other memories include 'barrage' balloons above the rail sheds and playing along the large 'staiths' where ships loaded coal for use in southern power stations.
Does anyone else share any of these memories?

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Blyth during WWII
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian -
I'm around your age and also from Blyth, but other side of the river.
"I recall quite a number of armed forces in the locality."
There was a submarine base during WW2 but it was in the South Blyth Harbour.
Others will know more about what you describe.
Which school did you go to?
T.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Brian, Welcome from a fellow who also was born and bred in Blyth.  I am not blowing my own trumpet but have a look at "Blyth History" here in the Northumberland section.  I stumbled across Rootschat one Sunday night, and started a new topic, as above, without realising what I was doing.  It has grown and grown with many stories, anecdotes, maps and photos relating the Blyth area.  I am sure you will find mention of North Blyth and Cambois in the numerous pages of Blyth History.  The last time I looked at the history, it had been read 84,000+ times.  !!
And on a more helpful angle, try to get hold of the following :"BLYTH MEMORIES." by Jim Harland.  I have just received 'Part Three'.  It includes 'Battleship Wharf' also 'The High Ferry.'
I think there are 5 parts to Blyth Memories.  They are published by : www.summerhillbooks.co.uk  The one I have is/was priced at £9-99p.
Best of luck and good researching !!!!
pyfb.

Offline Brian Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whilst living in North Blyth between 1938 and 1947 I attended St Wilfred's Junior School in Blyth
I recall a Mr Barker as Head Master along with Miss Bush and Miss Burroughs as Teachers
I recall a Pub on the south side of the River Blyth near the High Ferry access road.  I revisited the area in 2000 and called into that same pub to be told that it was due to be demolished. As I was leaving the publican gave me a 'pen sketch' of the High Ferry that I had been admiring... needless to say I was completely overwhelmed as it had actually been taken off the wall and given to me ... a complete stranger!   I still have this treasure ...

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
I remember St. Wilfred's. It was in the news lately:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44075878
I agree with the HT's ban. I went to Crofton, still a school too, I think.
What a king gesture from the publican. But not unusual in the Blyth I remember.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Simmo1960

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 April 24 17:43 BST (UK) »
I was born @ 33 Worsdell Street North Blyth in Jan 1938.  I recall Travelling to school in Blyth on the small 'rope' ferry.  Our Neighbours were Mrs Nairn and Mr and Mrs Hardy.
I remember a wood yard owned by a Mr Marshall.
There was a large railway shed nearby and I recall quite a number of armed forces in the locality. I also recall an 'Institute' building where dances were held.
Other memories include 'barrage' balloons above the rail sheds and playing along the large 'staiths' where ships loaded coal for use in southern power stations.
Does anyone else share any of these memories?

My name is Lynn nee Marshall my father Colin was born at 39 Worsdell Street in 1935 my Grandfather was Colin also this will be the man you are talking about we spent our childhood going to visit my Grandma and Grandfater at North Blyth he died in 1972 my gran in 2003 she was 103 years old my Father died 2021 aged 85