Author Topic: Torquay Photographer  (Read 237 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Torquay Photographer
« on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
I have a carte de visite studio photograph by Croft of 3, Union Street,Torquay. Possibly Edwardian. In an effort to try to narrow the time frame, does this artist / photographer mean anything to anyone? Thanks, Toby.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Torquay Photographer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
I have some references to William Croft, photographer at 3 Union St Torquay in the 1870s. Will try to find out if I have some more info. I think there are some of his photographs in the National Trust collection.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
In the 1871 census William CROFT (artist photographer) appears with his wife Harriet and family at Torquay.
GBC/1871/2086/0146

In the 1881 and later however they are at Delmain Rd, Lewisham
RG11/739/23 pg 39

Why not post the photograph on the Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs Board? Lots of knowledgeable people there to help date the photo.  ;)

Modified to add:
Interestingly, their daughter Harriet was born in Sydney, Australia c1862, so they must have lived in Oz for a time.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddys52. That is a good start and I will see about getting the photo onto the site you recommend. At this stage I won't say more as I do not want to prompt the discussion. T