Author Topic: Augustus George Bruce CLARK (Aberdeen, London, Bordeaux).  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Judith Fernie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Augustus George Bruce CLARK (Aberdeen, London, Bordeaux).
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My name is Judith Fernie ( formerly Clark before marriage).  I am the  great grandaughter now aged 82 yrs of Augustus Horatio Clark and Fanny Bertha Barker who emigrated to Melbourne Australia with their family. I was born in 1936  daughter of William Neale Clark and Marjorie Read.  My grandfather was Frederick Alexander Clark married to Emily Elizabeth Parker.  Frederick was the son of Augustus Horatio Clark.  Augustus Horatio my father's grandfather, made my father sing the Marseillaise each morning to him.  I can give you lots of family history and photos if you would like. I have the address in Bordeaux where they lived and also there is a prune factory in France also that they owned.     Hoping this will help you in your research regards Judy Fernie

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
His son Auguste Etienne Octave CLARK was born in Boulogne-sur-Mer on November 26th 1864.

Offline On track

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon to all of you !
I'm sorry for the delay of this message.
- Groom, I thank you. I didn't know the website "probatesearch.service.gov.uk" and, for me, it's very interesting. Besides, I still don't know if Augustus George Bruce CLARK was a boot or shoemaker but what I know is that, in Bordeaux (France), he was merchant. Nevertheless, I don't know what kind of business he made. Moreover, I thank you also for the date and place of his second marriage. I already knew them but, until know, I didn't manage to obtain the documents concerning this event. In particular, I think it would be interesting for me to discover who were the witnesses. Catherine Philomène LIGNAC (her name is also written LIGNAT) was his second spouse, a French one, born in Lolme (Dordogne, France) in 1842. His first spouse was Sarah SMITH. She was English. She was born in England in London in 1825 (but I also didn't manage to obtain the document of her birth). They married in Scotland in Edinburgh on january 28th 1852 (thanks to Ladyhawk for this information !)... but I also don't have the document of this event. With her, he had five legitimate children. Nevertheless, what I know is that, in 1863, he had a child (Claire Augusta LIGNAT, born in Bordeaux) with this Catherine LIGNAC but he was still married with madam SMITH. He never divorced with this last one. In 1864, in Boulogne-sur-Mer (France), he had another child with Catherine LIGNAC: Auguste Étienne Octave CLARK. This one was recognized by his father and bore his name. Later, Sarah SMITH died in Bordeaux in 1869. This event, in 1876, will permit to Augustus George Bruce CLARK to marry Catherine LIGNAC. For me, the link with the CLARK family is quite the same. My great-great-grandmother is born in 1837 in the south of France in the city of Tarbes. Her name was Alexandrine BARON. As far back as I managed, until today, to trace the family BARON (around 1760), they all lived either in Tarbes either in Saint-Sever-de-Rustan, a small town close from the first place. After that, I discovered that, in 1860, Alexandrine lived in Bordeaux. The same year, she asked the prefecture a passport for London (England) in order to practise there her trade (she was milliner). On november 20th of the same year, she obtained this visa. Just after, I imagine she lived and worked in England. On august 20th 1863, I trace her again but in Bordeaux. At this date, she gave birth to my great-grandfather: Georges Edmond BARON. The problem is that the father of this child remained unnamed. No document among all of the ones I glanced through mentions his identity. Nevertheless, a body of elements quickly gave me the conviction I knew who he was. Indeed, in the archives of Bordeaux, I discovered many interesting deeds drawn up by a lawyer. These ones mention Alexandrine BARON with a man coming from Scotland, merchant in Bordeaux and living in this city, in the same street as her. Yes, it was Augustus (Auguste) George (Georges) Bruce CLARK ! Alexandrine and him were so close that, in 1876, she gave him power of attorney for the administration of all her properties. After this last date, I loose the trace of my great-great-grandmother so that, today, I don't even know when and where she died. So, you have understood that my great-grandfather never benefited an official recognition from him and that's why, today, my name is BARON and not CLARK.
- Annie / Rosinish, I thank you for the links of the related posts I already let on the web.
- Davidqueneherve, I thank you for the informations you gave me. I already found them.
- Madam Fernie, I thank you a lot for your message and these precisions. Yes, please, all the photos, documents and family history that you could send me are the welcome. Everything will interest me a lot and help me considerably. My name is Emmanuel BARON. I'm 37 years old and I just started my researches a year and a half ago when I discovered at home some old family photos and documents. Madam Fernie, I thank you again for these lines and I also thank very warmly all the different persons that are participating to this discussion and that permit me, by their help, to go out a little bit more from the fog. Here is my email address: emmanuel.baron5@wanadoo.fr
Kind regards,
Emmanuel BARON