Author Topic: Tansley family in Leicester, 1960s  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Tansley family in Leicester, 1960s
« on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Attempting to unlock a conundrum here.

David Bertram Tansley died in Leicester General Hospital on February 18th 1965. His second wife Isabella died barely eight weeks later. David's will gave probate to Isabella but after she died probate was modified. As with Isabella's will, the beneficiary was (spinster) Joyce Rosalind Tansley.

I have extensive records of the Tansley family but Joyce is one I have been unable to place. A Joyce R T did marry D Skevington in Leicester in 1970's

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tansley family in Leicester, 1960s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
In her married name she appears to be still living in the area, at least up until relatively recently.

You may need to amend in the circumstances.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
The will information is available on the Probate Calendar for 1965; both wills on the first page of Tansleys. I have no other positive identification for this Joyce

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Dee 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 March 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
The will information is available on the Probate Calendar for 1965; both wills on the first page of Tansleys. I have no other positive identification for this Joyce

Alan hi my mum is joyce r tansley she married my dad david skevington in 1972 are you following tansley family?   Dena skevington

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 19 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dena

Welcome to Rootschat.

My interest is in the Tansley family who can be traced back to the area around the border between south east Leicestershire, Rutland amd Northamptonshire. From your note I think that your Tansley grandfather was named William, born probably about 1907. The links though are to say the least confusing. I haven't been able to connect him with David Bertram Tansley who died in 1965 and whose will I am trying to fathom.

Any further information would be helpful I have about 250 Tansleys in my database going back to the early 17th century.

Alan

(After you have posted three messages here you can send and receive Personal Messages)

Offline Dee 19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi alan..well my mum is joyce tansley her dad and mum was bert and issabelle but they couldnt have children of their own and they legally adopted my mother joyce from their nephew i think it was when she was 5 years old from what i gather it was just bert isabelle and my mum no other family intrested.i know she had a aunt dorothy who ownwd a huge house and her sons was gilbert tansley who owns all the tansley hairdressing salons in Leicester and became an academy for students.we never met them.i know my mums real father lived overton road Leicester and my mum real mum lived on wycombe road we met them once as kids but had no intrest in my mum or me and my brother.they had no nore kids.i never met bert or isabelle as they dued before i was born.but they bought my mum as a mum and dad and gave her a life she didnt have before..i am intrested in any info yiu have as i have no idea about that side of the family bert and isabelle was her uncle and her aunty and she was born a tansley.so her name didnt change after adoption took place.please email me (*)
Hi Dena

Welcome to Rootschat.

My interest is in the Tansley family who can be traced back to the area around the border between south east Leicestershire, Rutland amd Northamptonshire. From your note I think that your Tansley grandfather was named William, born probably about 1907. The links though are to say the least confusing. I haven't been able to connect him with David Bertram Tansley who died in 1965 and whose will I am trying to fathom.

Any further information would be helpful I have about 250 Tansleys in my database going back to the early 17th century.

Alan

(After you have posted three messages here you can send and receive Personal Messages)
[/quote]

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
Is this Isabel's death?

Deaths June quarter 1965
Isabella Tansley   age  67    Leicester    3a   524

and her marriage?
Marriages December quarter 1929
David B Tansley     Tansley    Leicester   
Isabella Tansley    Tansley    Leicester   

What year was your Mother born?

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Yes on both counts ... but not my mother though!!

In fact her birth is possibly the last conundrum in this very highly convoluted saga! Still investigating

Alan

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 19 23:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I meant birth of Joyce.