Author Topic: Deciphering 1939 census- help please.  (Read 1272 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering 1939 census- help please.
« on: Thursday 05 July 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Can anyone work out what is going on here please?
1939 census for Doncaster, Yorkshire West Riding.

I know that Emily Moorin married Clifford Wilson in 1927, Doncaster, and they had daughter Joyce in 1930 so that fits.
I have found a marriage for Joyce B Wilson to Hugh B Eve in 1946, Guildford which ties in with the DMO (Guildford) and date 16.12.46 on the census. I found a Hugh Eve born in 1906, Hackney, which would make him 40 while Joyce was 16 at the time of marriage which seems unlikely, although not impossible!
What I can't work out is all the change of names for Clifford Wilson, or where Crabtree fits in! Could YW be Yorkshire West? Could EC1A be a postcode - Old Bailey/ St Bartholomews area of London? I can't find anything relevant for the date 30.6.71 written in green or any idea what KDA could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you,
Heather.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering 1939 census- help please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:27 BST (UK) »

Hi Erica.

Not sure if you're allowed to post extracts from the 1939 here.

I think the change from Wilson to Crabtree to Wilson and back is a case of correcting a mistake. I have one where a woman is given the future name Jones but that crossed out in favour of her original name. They had her confused with her (actually redacted) daughter of the same name who did marry a Mr Jones. Unusual to happen to a man though.

I couldn't find Joyce's marriage until I tried Hugh instead and found that she married as Joy B - there is one such nearer his age. I can't find another marriage of Joyce B to an Eve but that doesn't mean it never happened - could be outside England and Wales for instance.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
Please remember that the 1939 National Register is NOT a census!
A census is a snapshot of just a single night - the 1939 National Register was continually updated by the NHS until the 1990s ;D

So the page you see refers to any changes, notified to the NHS, over a period of about 40 years
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
See a full explanation about the 1939 Register at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/ particularly sections 7, 8, and 12.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 July 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
I found one where the child attached to a woman had his original name crossed out, just as she did, and the (second) married name written in - presumably that would be what he was known by in future official documents?
And as KGarrad says, it wasn't a census at all. But a register.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 July 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
But this was the husband who had his name crossed out and changed! Surely it must have been a mistake?

I can see the difference now between a census and the Register - my mistake!

I would still like to know what KDA stands for and also EC 1A - any ideas?

Thanks for all your help.

Heather.