Author Topic: What is the word after Thomas KING  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is the word after Thomas KING
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Did the profession of glazier/glazer even exist as such in 1718?  ???

My first thought was a badly-written "Glasgow"...

Karen

Oldest surviving stained glass is c1065 so yes they did have glaziers in 1718.
A person who only makes up stained glass, that is does not design, draw up or paint it, is a glazier. The person who fits it into the window frame is also a glazier but I think there was slightly different spellings for the two, I've forgotten now.
A person who fits glass into a frame/window is also a glazier probably getting the name from the stained glass fitters.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Just to weigh in on the Name/Occupation discussion (again): I've found no evidence to suggest that the groom's surname might have been anything other than "King". Searching on Ancestry and Familysearch for a marriage between Elizabeth Higgins and a "Thomas" in Hoby in 1714-1715 only shows a marriage to Thomas King (with King as surname) on 25 Nov 1714.

The 2 parish record transcriptions I linked to in my previous post also confirm (together with Ancestry and Familysearch) that the marriage on that date in Hoby was between Elizabeth Higgins and Thomas King. The 2 parish record transcriptions give his occupation as 'Glazier'.

I took a look on google maps and couldn't find any towns/villages in the same area that had names beginning with "Gla...".

So for me all the evidence I've found confirms "Glazier/Glazer/Glaser" as Thomas King's occupation. I've been unable to find any evidence for other explanations.

Mike
PS. Just by chance, I noticed that Ancestry had 2 different records for this marriage, one giving the date as 25 Nov and the other as 23 Nov. They both referred to the same source dataset with only one exception: the FHL Film Numbers were different. Familysearch.org confirmed the 25 Nov FHL number as being 'correct' while the marriage wasn't listed on the 23 Nov FHL number. I flagged the 23 Nov record as a possible "issue" on Ancestry.

I'm inclined to agree with StanleyChesterton that it is  his surname Glaser/Glazer  not much to compare handwriting with.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Another vote for glaser/glazier as an occupation.

In the page from the printed transcript in this link:
https://www.archive.org/stream/leicestershirepa02phil#page/60/mode/2up
the marriages from 1715 onwards don't give occupations, but from 1709-1714, 10 out of 15 entries show them.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
Sincere apologies as life got in the way of my getting back to my post. 

Horsleydown asked for another clipping in the same hand which is now attached.

Westy

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Westy.

The clip has a good clear G on George and plenty of long-s in beginning & mid-word positions, so confirms the reading in my first post.

We also have a weaver (John Hubard) and a mil(l)er (Thomas Marsh) identified, so no particular reason not to see Glaser as your man's occupation.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Horsleydown.

Much appreciated.

Westy