Author Topic: MyHeritage  (Read 2779 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MyHeritage
« on: Friday 06 July 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
A distant relative who is a full-time genealogist uploaded my FTDNA results onto her MyHeritage site and I found quite a few close matches as a result. But now when I go onto MyHeritage and click on DNA matches all I get is an ad. across the top of the screen showing the German footballer Lothar Matthäus and a heading MyHeritage DNA Football Tournament Sale, only £59 per kit. Order now.

They seem to have started thinking I am a potential customer looking to purchase a DNA testing kit and more than once I have found a kit loaded into my virtual shopping trolley, don't ask me how.

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MyHeritage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Are you registered under your name or your distant relative's? 

I get the advert but also the matches underneath - pages and pages of them.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
It was my relative Lorna who set up the page and registered me. I haven't paid for a MyHeritage test.

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
This is what I get when I sign in and go to DNA->DNA Matches on the drop down menu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
I used to get pages and pages of matches too, but now all I get is the advert. and a blank screen below with a grey wheel going round and round, which looks like a signal that something is downloading, but nothing does.

https://www.myheritage.com/dna/matches/463843

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have to ask to become a member of your site to see your tree.

I'm sure you should be able to get the matches. Are you clicking on  DNA on the top  toolbar?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
You should be able to get into your site as the basic one is free. This from the Help section:

What do I get with a Basic MyHeritage subscription?

Signing up to MyHeritage is completely free and allows you to build you own family site. Basic sites are free to create. With your Basic family site, you can add up to 250 individuals in the family tree(s) you build. If you add photos and scanned documents to the family site, the limit of storage space is 500 MB.

If you stay with a Basic subscription and created your family tree in Family Tree Builder, you will be able to sync it with your online family site as long as it doesn't go over the limit of 250 individuals.

If your tree grows and you need more storage, you can upgrade your family site at any time with a site subscription

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
And a bit about Matches:

s DNA matching free?

DNA Matching is a free feature available for users who purchased a MyHeritage DNA kit or uploaded their autosomal DNA data from 23andMe, Family Tree DNA and Ancestry DNA to MyHeritage. The feature allows you to be matched to other people who share DNA with you and are likely related to you.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 July 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
I've tried everything and still can't get back into my matches. Frustrating, as I got closer matches on MyHeritage than I've ever had from FTDNA, including a chap with an unknown name who research showed must be a grandson of my long-lost uncle who moved down to England before I was born. Thanks to good old sod's law, this guy is not interested in corresponding and has not responded to my friendly overtures.

Harry