Author Topic: Help for a trip to the BBC Antiques Roadshow please  (Read 1446 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help for a trip to the BBC Antiques Roadshow please
« on: Friday 06 July 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi. On Sunday we are off for a day out in Halifax at The Antiques Roadshow. My partner has two miniatures dates 1801 of Mr and Mrs Walford.
I have traced these back and they are Ann and John Walford of Pattingham. My partner is related  through their daughter Ann b.1803 but  I am now stuck. Ann (junior)'s birth date and place are clear on all the census returns (she married William Earle) but the only Ann Walford in Pattingham born in 1803 died in the same year.
Please does anyone know about this family or Pattingham so that I can go on Sunday with a few facts.
Thanks
Alison

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help for a trip to the BBC Antiques Roadshow please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello
The burial doesn't actually give an age
Ann Walford 10.3.1803
daughter Ann bapt 15.8.1802

Children after that Jane Mary 30 Mar 1805 bapt 5.4.1805,John Alexander 29 May 1806 bapt 19.1.1808,Ellen born 11.9.1807 bapt 19.1.1808,Sophia 17.1.1811  born 1809,Harriet born 23.2.1810 bapt 17.1.1811,Anna Maria 2.10.1813 ,Tom 29.7.1812 bapt 21 Dec 1821 ,Louisa 1826 all children of John and Anna Maria his second wife.

Dad John bapt 9.7.1775 to John and Mary Walford married Ann Wright at Shifnal 6.11.1801 by licence ,she was from there.Both 21 or over.So they only had the one child before her death.
He remarried a Anna Maria Jones 14.5.1804.She was 19 and needed her father Samuel's permission .The licence says she was of Cheshire but doesn't say where.
She died in 1874.

Grandad John's Will has survived from 1790.He is a gentleman with an estate at West Bich Pattingham purchased off Nathaniel Elwell.
Wife Mary gets £50 per year.
His eldest son gets the Estate as per his (John married to Mary's father)late father John's Will (1777).The estate is worth £1840.
His brother Harry got £2000 under Dad's will and if he dies under 21 that will go to friend John Wood.
Brother in law John Winkle £2000
Father's estate leased form Sir John Astley baronet.
Younger children share the residue of the estate if they make 21 and then to wife Mary.
It's on FindMyPast if you want to print it off.

Ciderdrinker

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
It rather looks, from what Ciderdrinker has found, that the Ann Walford death in 1803 is the mother of the Ann baptised August 1802.

After all your parther cannot be descended from Ann Walford if she died as an infant.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
This is so exciting - thank you. I might have got some of this over time but definitely not before Sunday.
A big thank you

Alison

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
How did you get on  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
A bit of a mixed bag.
We had associated medals with us and that was brilliant, they told us about the medals themselves and how they affected the family which was fascinating.
The trouble was that the programme was in the Piece Halls in Halifax on the hottest day of the year. There was no shade and people were passing out all over the place. We stood in a queue for an hour and a half to ask about the miniatures in the middle of the day in the sun and we still had the same time again to wait at least so we had to call it a day. We haven't given up, the programme is coming up north again 'soon' and we will try again. I never thought I would yearn for cold northern weather but yesterday I was wishing for rain!
Thank you for your help, when we got back we got the family scrap book out which started in 1844 and found all sorts of things that we can now connect to the right people so we are planning where to go next with all of this.
Alison

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
I'll never forget that woman who bought a painting for a bob or two at a car boot sale, also bought a badly scratched painting of a cat for 10p to use as packing in a box to protect the valued painting, and eventually she took to the A R. Turned out the thought valued painting was worth about a tenner, but the expert also picked up the scratched painting, only to be told it was only for packing but turned out to be worth about 100 thousand quid after restoration and painted by some famous artist.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Glad you had a 'partly' successful day, at least you know what to expect next time.  I think most of us are hoping it will cool down a bit.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
I did see one person get told that her ‘trinket’ brooch from her aunt was worth £40-50,000!