Author Topic: Trying to obtain birth cert  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to obtain birth cert
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  I made one basic error.  I trusted the link that the register office sent in an email.  Have now searched the BMD and sure enough he is there but there is no other information than I already have. I can't understand why this woman who wasn't very helpful at all insisted I needed a reference number?  I do have the district, just thought it best not to mention it, at least until I get what I need!

I'll get there through trial and error plus the very helpful people on here.

Alan
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry to keep on but am getting frustrated with this so have decided to send a letter to the register office with all the details and a cheque.  Can anyone tell me what a full birth certificate costs these days please?

I don't think it differs from place to place but just in case it is Stoke on Trent.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
If you obtain it via the official GRO site https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
It will cost you just £9-25,the turn around seems to be pretty quick at the moment.

Certs from local register offices(if the one in question still provides them,not all do) will be £10.

https://www.stoke.gov.uk/info/20011/births_marriages_and_deaths/77/apply_for_a_copy_of_a_birth_death_marriage_or_civil_partnership_certificate/2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
When applying to the GRO, you need to provide:
Year, Quarter, Registration District, Volume No and Page No.

When applying at a District Register Office you need to supply a different reference :-\
This varies by Registration District.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Simples when you know how.  Ordered one online and await with bated breath. Maybe a coincidence but we have to check.  Thanks for everyone's help and advice.  I'm learning!

Alan
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
When applying to the GRO, you need to provide:
Year, Quarter, Registration District, Volume No and Page No.

When applying at a District Register Office you need to supply a different reference :-\
This varies by Registration District.

When you order from the GRO make sure you only put exactly what is in the GRO ref on FreeBMD.

We have often heard that if you make the slightest alteration,for example putting Anne instead of Ann,they'll tell you that a cert does not exist!!!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Simples when you know how.  Ordered one online and await with bated breath. Maybe a coincidence but we have to check.  Thanks for everyone's help and advice.  I'm learning!

Alan

Hope it proves to be the right person  ;)

Please let us know.

Carol

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
This thread shows just how many genealogists are content with putting up with not only a poor service from Registrars, Superintendent Registrars and the GRO but also content to allow them to get away with illegal practices.

All the above offices have no option but to provide the required certificate to anyone who wishes to purchase a certificate and who furnishes enough information for the registrar etc. to locate the correct entry in the register.
There is no requirement in law to provide any specific information to enable them to do that but common sense tells us that identifying details such as forename and surname, year of birth and place of birth improve the chance of being supplied with the correct certificate.

It has been suggested that some local offices do not provide certificates.
That practice is unlawful, all Registrars, Superintendent Registrars and the GRO have a legal obligation to supply requested certificates from registers in their keeping, that is their main reason for existing.

If you do not believe this write to the Registrar General in person and ask him (Mark Thomson, but they change every 4 or so years and he has been in place since 2015).

Don't let lazy Registrars ruin the Civil Registration System.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline JamesHS

• RootsChat Extra
  • The bigger the tree, the more the twigs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry to keep on but am getting frustrated with this so have decided to send a letter to the register office with all the details and a cheque.  Can anyone tell me what a full birth certificate costs these days please?

I don't think it differs from place to place but just in case it is Stoke on Trent.

Apologies if this information is redundant or I'm teaching granny how to suck eggs, but I've only just now dropped into this thread and haven't seen any mention of this method so far.

Have you researched the person's birth on the Staffs BMD website (http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk)?

If you have, did you find the person in question?  If you did, there's a reference number on the search result listing and you can create an order form with instructions from the number.

Click on the reference number and a tab should open in your browser with the list of those you've clicked.
Go to that tab and click on the reference number there.   You'll be shown a postal request form which already has details of the person and reference number, together with instructions how to pay and the address in Hanley to send the form to.  All you do is complete your details and send it off with £10.
Apparently, you only have to include the date of birth and some other info if you want a short certificate, otherwise you only get the full version, which seems a little odd but never mind.