Author Topic: Unable to find death for Ellen Nicolson  (Read 1743 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find death for Ellen Nicolson
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 July 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
I have just checked for a death notice but there does not appear to have been one.  I didn't really expect one but thought it worth checking just in case.

You are right Boo, some searches. are never easy.

If you can think of any more ideas in the future regarding Baby Ellen - if I can help I will.   :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have checked the Gateshead burial for you.  I know her Father was called Alfred and the Ellen you are looking for had a Father called Jeremiah.  However, I still think this is worth checking just in case.  I had an ancestor called Philip and I have discovered for a time he seems to have called himself Ralph, for reasons unknown.  I wonder if likewiseJeremiah may have thrown a spanner in the works by deciding to call himself Alfred?  It does seem strange that Ellen's death registration can't be found.  Since her birth was registered then surely her death would have to be registered.
Anyway, here is the Gateshead burial.  Perhaps you may be able to tell if this might be your Ellen by the address.  If you definitely think this is not your Ellen at least you can definitely rule this one out:

Gateshead East
Entry: 62801
Ellen Nicholson
F. Alfred
160 Somerset Street
Buried: Aug 19 1906
Ceremony by Martin Walsh
Odd looking letter but looks like buried Section J No: 4186

The next time I can get to the library I could look up a possible death notice if you think there may be a chance it could be Ellen.  Perhaps parents may be called Alfred and Jane.

Perhaps she may have been born late in November 1905 and registered in January say, 1906 which could fit the 10m age mark.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 July 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL, but no I really think I can discount this registration/burial. Jeremiah is definitely Jeremiah. The only name variation I have found for him is a directory entry in 1912, Wilmington, Delaware where he is listed as Jerry.

Ellen's birth was registered in Q1 1906. I believe she was named for a maternal Aunt, Nellie Poulton.
In April 1906, Jeremiah arrived in New York on the SS Furnesia. His arrival form says his last address was Newcastle (sadly no specific address).
His wife and child (if the child was still alive) did not accompany him, which was not unusual, lots of men went first to establish themselves, see if it was going to work out and families joined them later.

I have yet to find a return crossing for him, but have another arrival in the US for him in July 1910, this time on the SS Haverford, Liverpool to Philadelphia. That says his nearest relative in the UK was Mrs Nicolson 126 Ayton St, Byker, Newcastle. It also says he had previously been in the US from 1906-190* last character not clear  but I think it says 1907. That date fits in with the birth of their second child, John, which was registered in Q2 1908. Jane must have become pregnant with John almost as soon as Jeremiah returned (though he may at least have unpacked his case first <g>)

Jane and so John were recorded on the 1911 census at Clydesdale Road, Byker and in Oct 1911 they joined Jeremiah in the US.

and, after all that, Jeremiah died in Wilmington Delaware in Nov 1912.

Given the dates of Jeremiah's first stint in the US, I think its possible that baby Ellen's death was the reason for his return.
If only they'd not lived in the Newcastle Registration District I could enquire with the local registrar, who are usually wiling to do a short search given the details. Unfortunately Newcastle are not.

But don't spend any more of your valuable time looking for this, you've helped above and beyond my expectations. If I get something concrete, I'll ask for it to be checked if necessary.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Oh well!  There was always a chance it could be the wrong one.

However, you might like to have the St Silas baptisms though which are recorded in a file at the Tyne and Wear Archives:

Ellen
28 Feb 1906
Parents: Jeremiah & Jane Victoria Nicholson
19 Barrasford Road
Stonemason

John
29 April 1908
Parents: Jeremiah & Jane Victoria Nicholson
21 Oban Road
Stonemason

I hope at least these records may be useful. :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
ooh thank you!
Yes they are very useful - they match the parents first names and Jeremiah's occupation, whereas the birth reg just had a match for surnames.
Plus I now have another 2 addresses for them :-)

Though dumbBoo has just discovered that St Silas is now in the database for Durham Records Online (note to self to remember they are branching out to Northumberland)

Thank you, the catalogue on Family Search doesn't seem to have images for St Silas, so I'll order the copies of these baptisms from the archives.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 July 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
Oh! I am glad that these at least have been useful.  The staff say that if you can give precise information on email they will be able to send you copies for only £7 each.  Much better than their usual hefty £30 fee. ;)  The baptisms will be on microfilm 957.

The marriage of Jeremiah and Jane is also in a file.  However, I have looked up the full entry for you.  Might as well whilst I am here so don't worry about me and my time - you forget I am an addicted genealogist and this is fun for me. ;D  Anyway, hope this is also useful for your records:

St Silas, marriage (on microfilm 959)
Entry 429
Jeremiah Nicolson & Jane Victoria Poulton (the 'h' is crossed over his surname and Father below surname
Dec 26 1904
His age: 28
Her age: 23
Bachelor & Spinster
Stone Mason
His residence: 33 Mowbray Street
Her residence: 9(7?) Mowbray Street
Fathers:
John Nicolson - Seaman
Thomas Poulton - Joiner
Both Jane and Jeremiah signed names
Witnesses:
(Gideon? Pilloh?) & Andrew Nicolson (both signed)

Added: I have noticed that you have given the marriage as December 1905 but they are definitely down as having married in 1904 in the register.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies, yes the marriage was 1904, I must have looked at the registration and it was registered in Q1 1905, though I do already have the parish register image it was kind of you to look and type it all out.

The witness Gideon - his surname (though difficult to read and its an unusual name) is PITLOH, he was Jane's brother in law.

£7 a throw for a print from a microfilm is way outside my budget so I'll make do with the transcriptions that you have supplied and are also on Durham Records Online. These folk are twiglets but if I wanted confirmation of the births I could get a .pdf of their birth registration from the GRO for less than that.

Woodhorn have microfilms of this parish and their microfilm copying charges page says I could have both baptism images posted to me for less than a fiver, which is a lot better and I may consider that.

Thanks again, your time and help is appreciated
Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Can't say I blame you Boo.  That definitely sounds like a better bargain. 

I have just been to see the famed Rocket and have been on the Rocket virtual reality ride.  The staff fit you up with your virtual ride headgear and you're off! The latter experience is just outside in a room near the Archives department.  The Rocket itself  is just across from the Turbinia vessel near the entrance.  All free! :)