Author Topic: Unable to find death for Ellen Nicolson  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find death for Ellen Nicolson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
If she was born and died within say a few minutes would her mother need to register her death
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
If she was born and died within say a few minutes would her mother need to register her death

As she had registered the birth I would assume that the death would need to be registered too. As far as I know all live births had/have to be registered even if the life is very short.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 July 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
In the next few weeks I could look at the Heaton Cemetery records (covers Byker and Heaton). 

It might be worth checking for the 1907 death/burial of Ellen.  I recently did a burial search for a Roots Chatter and freebmd had their ancestor's age at death way out - she was down as age 12 but had actually died in her 40s and had been a married woman with a large family.  So clearly not age 12.  I suppose age errors do occur occasionally on burial registers as well.  Freebmd is usually accurate admittedly.  This is the only error I have ever come across. 

The Ellen that Radcliff refers to may still be the right one.  I will see what I can find out in the next few weeks and will get back to you about this, Boo.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks RTL, very good of you but its not vital and I know you have a limited amount of time don't make it a priority.
According to the TWAS catalogue there does seem to be an index to burials for Byker and Heaton Cemetery which, hopefully, will help.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mbp/

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
The registers are also on microfilm at the library in Newcastle.  I am planning too go to the Archives to for another RootsChatter in next few weeks to do a look up.

So don't worry about having to wait until September Boo.  I do think I will be able to check this out for you before then. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have managed to pop  into the library today after work.  I checked the Heaton & Byker Cemetery for Eleanor/Ellen for burial in December quarter 1907 and the All Saints Cemetery (microfilm quite dark in quality over names). however, unfortunately I haven't found her in these registers.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look, RTL, much appreciated and I now know to discount that year and quarter for Heaton and All Saints.

I'll give it a bit more thought to see if I can think of another way to narrow down the time frame as atm all I know is that her birth was registered Q1 1906 and in 1911 her Mam said she'd had two children one of whom had died.
So this little one must have died between 1906 and 1911.That's quite a time span and I'd need to narrow it down somehow.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Boo, I wasn't going to give up for you - found her!

At least, I wonder if this could be the baby you are seeking:

Elswick Cemetery
Entry: 40694
Eleanor Nicholson
Female

Age is either 15 months or minutes there is a scribble at the top so age not totally clear.  Looks more like months  but there is a dot which could be an 'i' dot.  Personally, I think it is months but I could be wrong.

29 Hawes Street

Burial Date: Dec 24 1907
'No Minister' is written
Section B
Grave 165
Removed from St Stephen Parish

I have asked for second opinion from staff and they think this records 'months' but like me they are not completely certain.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 July 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, its a possible and I will check it out, though 15 months is questionable as the baby with the right MMN had her birth registered in Q1 1906 which would make her at least 21 months by Dec 1907.

He he, its never easy, even with the very generous help that people such as yourself give so freely :-)

and, I just remembered a baby born a died too soon (child of one of my aunts) who caused the same problems. Turns out they decided to register her birth with one forename, then changed their minds and called her by a totally different forename. I had only ever heard her referred to by the revised name and it drove me crazy trying to find birth/death registrations. Unfortunately there was no one still around for me to ask.

Boo