Author Topic: McCrums or Simm Campbells of Carnmoney/Ballycraigy  (Read 1772 times)

Offline mangojam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCrums or Simm Campbells of Carnmoney/Ballycraigy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - yes I already had the marriages of Isabella and Elizabeth. Thank you all for the advice and links - I will get right on it. I am very new to this, but it is incredibly and strangely fascinating and addictive...

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 July 18 01:50 BST (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 July 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you all - yes I already had the marriages of Isabella and Elizabeth. Thank you all for the advice and links - I will get right on it. I am very new to this, but it is incredibly and strangely fascinating and addictive...

;D ;D Yes it can be!

You have already found some stuff, hope you find more from Link. It can be very rewarding!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 July 18 08:56 BST (UK) »
At this point a possible scenario may be that Rebecca Simm was simply a.k.a. Rebecca Simm Campbell, the sister of John and Francis Simm Campbell shown in the 1901 and 1911 census returns living in  Ballycraigy, also the sister of Agnes.  Note the following death of an Isabella Sim in 1898, the informant was daughter Agnes Sim:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05823/4648979.pdf

In relation to Agnes, note this reference in a local 1918 newspaper: CAMPBELL - In loving memory of our dear brother, John Simm Campbell, who died on 16 February, 1917, at Ballycraigy, Carnmoney ... ... Inserted by his Brother and Sister, FRANCIS AND AGNES SIMM CAMPBELL.

(For info, John Simm Campbell's death registration is below, John McCrum was the informant):
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1917/05226/4446472.pdf

BTW, local newspapers over several days in November 1881 carried very extensive coverage of a case being heard by the first court of the Land Commission involving a number of Carnmoney tenants who had had their rent increased significantly in 1866, including detailed accounts of that part of the case for an Isabella Campbell (also referred to as Simm and Simm Campbell - indeed, there was confusion over the name at one point in proceedings). There was also mention of another tenant James McCrum  who apparently knew Isabella's family well.  Isabella was mentioned as the widow of John Simm Campbell who took a lease out on the property in 1842, the couple had 2 sons and 2 daughters and there are other snippets of information about the family going back decades - I can provide more on this if you wish.

Note also that there is a claim in a 1948 newspaper that John Simm Campbell worked with Dunlop in inventing the pneumatic tyre (although a later claim differs in the detail), that article includes the reference Johnnie Simm Campbell's bicycle (he was known to the neighbours as Johnnie Simm), again reflecting the variability in the name.   

Griffiths Valuation shows several Simms / McCrum / Campbell entries if you search on Ballycraigy (print date for the area was 1861):
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

The Valuation Revision books may also offer up information:
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Notice the qualification over name in this PRONI Will Calendars Index entry for Francis in 1927:  Campbell Francis Simms (sometimes called "Francis Simms") of Ballycraigy county Antrim farmer died 30 November 1927 Probate Belfast 31 January to John McCune Kane and James Aicken farmers. Effects £616 0s. 10d.

And this reference from a local newspaper report on the Spring Assizes in March 1901:  SIMM v. McWILLIAM. This was an action brought by John Simm, farmer, Ballycraigy, against Henry McWilliam, farmer, Ballyrobert, for damages for the seduction of plaintiff's sister, Agnes Simm.

Given the stated birth place (Ballyvesey), there's every chance this was Agnes in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Duncairn_Ward/Fortwilliam_Park/958075/

So as far as the surname goes, pretty well interchangeable.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 July 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hannah Lynn, sister of my 2 x gt grandmother,married William McCrum (1820-1865) of Kilgreel, Templepatrick son of Samuel McCrum and Agnes Marshall.

Hannah's son James Carson McCrum b1863 died in Canada so is not the James McCrum who died 1900 in Roughfort, Templepatrick. I have looked through the basic records I have of this family (siblings of William) and cannot place the James who died 1900, nor any other the other names from the McCrum family of Carnmoney but I have not myself researched this family.

Offline Roy_L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 August 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
I have done extensive research into the McCrum family from Carnmoney, my grandmother (Agnes McCrum was a descendant)
The following is an email from a Mr. Girvin who has the McCrum Family records at hand. These records were collected by a Wm Fee McKinney of `Sentry Hill` up until his death in 1917. http://www.sentryhill.net/
I have the full Family pedigree of the Carnmoney McCrums back to a John McCrum originally of Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Scotland

My own interest is in a certain Hugh McCrum (a g, granduncle), who along with his family from Carnmoney left for the USA in 1850. A novelist in the US Jack Sullivan and myself done some research into his life story via old Newspapers of the time, it can be found here  http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2016/09/hugh-mccrum-wests-peripatetic-whiskey.html

John  McCrum  (born c1690),  settled  in  Carnmoney  in  1715.  He  was  from Whithorn  in  Wigtownshire, Scotland,  and  brought  a  'testimonial'  from  there  to  introduce  himself. (Source:
WF McKinney's family  register  books 1708-1917). John  married  Betty  Clotworthy  in  1725, and had  3  sons:  John  (born 1726)  ;  Alexander  (born c1732)  and  *Samuel  (born 1742).

Samuel  (b 1742),  married  twice.  His  first  married  Margaret  Kirkpatrick in 1769. Their
family  were:  John  (born 1771) ;  Robert (b: c1773) ;  Clotworthy (born 1775) ; Alexander
(born 1777) ;  *Hugh (1779-1868) ;  Mary  (born 1781) ; Robert (1784-1864) ; William  (born
1786)  and  Elizabeth  (born 1788).  ** John  BG  Smyth  and  Jeanette  Louden  are  descended  from  the  above,  Hugh (1779-1868)  who  married  Mary  Bryson.

Samuel's  second  marriage  was  to  Margaret  McIlroy  in  1793. Their  family  were:  Margaret  (born: 1794) ;  Samuel  (born: c1795) and   *James  (born 1797)  married  Agnes  Harvey  in  1819. James McCrum  and  Agnes  had  the  following  family:  Margaret  (born 1820) ; Samuel (born c1823) ; William  (born: 1826) ;  Mary  (born: 1828) ; Robert (born 1830) ; Agnes (born 1832) ;  John James  (born c1834) ; *Hugh  (born: 1836)  and  Joanna  (born: 1838).

I  have  just  looked  at  the  family  records,  and  beside John  and  Agnes  it  reads  ''emigrated  to  America''.

Hope  this  information  has  been  of  help  to  you.       Regards, Allister.

PS:  John McCrum  (b: c1690) firstly  married  Mary  McNeilly  in  1716,  though  don't  appear  to  have  had  any  family.

Hello , 
Unfortunately, I am unable to locate William McCrums marriage. His son, William was born in 1842 (according to the Census), so he was born before Civil Registration.  I viewed his marriage certificate online (via the NI direct website), to Mary Patience. It appears that the family settled in County Down, where there were already numerous families with the same name, though are of no immediate connection to their own. This make things quite confusing. One of Wm and Mary's sons, ie: Hugh, moved to Belfast. and had a family of his own. He was born in 1875, and you can find him in the Census, living in Majestic Street. You asked me about Wm Fee McKinney. He was of no relation to the McCrum's, though he had a keen interest in family history, and so recorded many family genealogies, from the earliest baptisms in 1708, until his death in 1917. There's a book concerning him called 'Sentry Hill, An Ulster Farm and Family'  by  Brian Walker.

Offline Nessee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 August 22 16:32 BST (UK) »
Have read your post - I too am interested in the ancestry of Isabella McCrum and her sister Elizabeth McCrum - am new to this so a little unsure as to how to make contact - look forward to a reply to confirm we are interested in the same people - I address this post to - Mangojam  - who seems to be referring to the same people I am interest in -thank you

Offline Nessee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Have read your post - I too am interested in the ancestry of Isabella McCrum and her sister Elizabeth McCrum - am new to this so a little unsure as to how to make contact - look forward to a reply to confirm we are interested in the same people - I address this post to - manjo
Have read your post - I too am interested in the ancestry of Isabella McCrum and her sister Elizabeth McCrum - am new to this so a little unsure as to how to make contact - look forward to a reply to confirm we are interested in the same people - I address this post to - manjojam - who seems to be referring to the same people I am interest in -thank you
Have read your post - I too am interested in the ancestry of Isabella McCrum and her sister Elizabeth McCrum - am new to this so a little unsure as to how to make contact - look forward to a reply to confirm we are interested in the same people - I address this post to - marjoram - who seems to be referring to the same people I am interest in -thank you
am - who seems to be referring to the same people I am interest in -thank you