Author Topic: Hannah Charlton born Allendale c.1846 conundrum  (Read 684 times)

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Charlton born Allendale c.1846 conundrum
« on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could please help with something of a conundrum involving the parentage of my great great grandmother Hannah Charlton?  She married Jeremiah Westgarth in Weardale, Durham in August 1864, her residence on the marriage certificate shown as Rise Green, Allendale. Her father is Joseph Charlton, a lead miner.  Her age is shown as 20, although I suspect she was just 18.  Jeremiah is shown aged 27, residence Boltsburn, Stanhope, Durham.

Tragically, Hannah died just two years later, in 1866, of typhus fever, thankfully not before giving birth to my great grandmother Mary Westgarth, otherwise I would not be here!

I have located her 1851 census entry (ref. HO107/2415/104/5) with father Joseph and mother Mary, living in the wonderfully named Dirt Pot in Allendale.  (Joseph had married Mary Price in 1846). Hannah had siblings Mary Ann and John, all born in Allendale.  Now, this is where it starts to get interesting!  A search on the GRO index reveals that the above two siblings' mother had maiden name of Price which of course fits in.  However, the only likely-looking Hannah Charlton registered in the Hexham Union district which covers Allendale has maiden name of Stobbs.  Anyway, regardless, yesterday I ordered a PDF of that birth certificate from GRO.  Since then, I did a search on the 1861 census and came across another Hannah Charlton, born around 1846, living in Allendale (ref. RG09/3861/20/3) with father Thomas and mother Hannah.  And guess what?  A Thomas Charlton did marry a Hannah Stobbs!  So, either there are two Hannah Charltons born around the same time in Allendale or she has swapped parents!  Her father (?) Joseph's 1861 census (ref. RG09/3861/23/9), shows the family still in Allendale.  John is still there together with a number of other siblings born since the last census, all to Price.

Incidentally, one of the siblings on Joseph's 1861 census is Rebecca.  I mention this because she later married a John Gardiner, and a Thomas Gardiner was the informant named on Hannah's death certificate, although no relationship is shown.

Sorry this has been so long-winded, but I wanted to try and convey the convoluted facts of this family.  If anyone else has been investigating the Charlton family, I would be delighted to hear from them.  In the meanwhile. I will continue to unpick some of the tangles.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Charlton born Allendale c.1846 conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Makes little sense the way it's laid out.
I'd have preferred to see a transcription of the relevant census entries, marriage(s) references and GRO birth index info that you are including in the pot.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
It is quite possible that your Hannah's birth was never registered. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Did you find Hannah, parents Thomas and Hannah, on the '51 Census?

census ref  HO107  2415  132  24

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 July 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hannah could be under Anna or Ann - has that been explored for her birth? 

May even have been a middle name she was known by so registered as for example Megan Hannah.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 July 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that Hannah may have been born illegitimately? I note that the marriage of Joseph Charlton and Mary Price was on 1 Aug 1846 in Hunstanworth, co Durham. This is in Weardale RD.There is a birth for a Hannah Price in Weardale RD and with no mother's maiden name recorded Jul - Sep 1846.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 July 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of the replies.  I think William (#Millmoor), is the most likely solution.  I will order that certificate to confirm.  I am sure the other Hannah's certificate will not go to waste as Thomas Charlton will probably end up being related to Joseph!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
Makes little sense the way it's laid out.
I'd have preferred to see a transcription of the relevant census entries, marriage(s) references and GRO birth index info that you are including in the pot.

I could follow the post -  and to be fair the poster is reasonably new, it takes time to suss out how to word queries -  what to include, what to leave out etc and even those of us who have been doing it for a while don't always get the right mix.

Pleased the query seems to have had a likely resolution though, William's suggestion sounds highly possible and the poster can check that out to see what a baptism/birth cert says to confirm or deny it.

Boo

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your understanding Boo.  I will bear in mind what the original poster said if I make future posts - I just originally thought that a more narrative text was somehow more friendly.  I do get the point though.

Jim