Author Topic: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?  (Read 26692 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ann and Anne are interchangeable and the spelling should not be taken as gospel.

Also see:

The Ann and David, parents of Ebenezer bpt Brecon (Calv Meth) in Jan 1811 and b. 20 Dec 1810, were most probably the David William and Anne Powell who married Llywel, Breconshire 24 August 1794.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Llanfi

I'm  a little puzzled but I'm not sure that you've read much of the thread. See, for example, the posts of John, a g g grandson of Thomas Williams.

:-\

Added - Are you sure that the Merionethshire couple are Benjamin's parents:

Hi,
Any leads on Benjamin Williams b 1817 Llanegwad Carmarthenshire or Llanwrtyd Breconshire? Father David William(s) mother Ann Jones married ca. 1808 at Calvinistic Chapel near Llwynfortune. he had a brother Ebenezer baptised Bethel Llanwrtyd 1810.
The family emigrated to America about 1834.

Thanks
Llanfi

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Hi,
I started a search on the Carmarthen and Breconshire boards with the assumption that Ebenezer was Benjamin's brother, and that his father was David Williams and mother Ann. That was from a WeRelate family history, see attached. I E-mailed John with the news that I had found Ebenezer son of David Williams and Ann Jones in Llanwrtyd. I found out later that Ebenezer was in Llanwrtydd as a C.M. Minister in the 1851 Census. Here is my original post on the Breconshire and Carmarthenshire boards, and I think I may have started a real red herring!

Please ignore my original posting:

"Hi,
Any leads on Benjamin Williams b 1817 Llanegwad Carmarthenshire or Llanwrtyd Breconshire? Father David William(s) mother Ann Jones married ca. 1808 at Calvinistic Chapel near Llwynfortune. he had a brother Ebenezer baptised Bethel Llanwrtyd 1810.
The family emigrated to America about 1834.

Thanks
Llanfi"

The Ohio death certificate I received from John clearly shows Benj Williams was born in 1818 and that his parents were Thomas Williams and Ann Jones, from Wales (no specific location).
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just one thing to bear in mind.  Information about ancestors on  death certificates are only as good as the knowledge of the people who give the information.

Following John;s post, I spent an hour or so this morning going through the Cyffylliog Calvanistic Methodist records looking for Benjamin, parents Thomas and Ann. As you can see, there wasn't one.  I also looked at other neighbouring non-conformist records.

Gadget

Offline johnw47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The information on the death certificate was from Benjamin's eldest daughter, Emily. If, as I believe, her grandparents did not emigrate with Benjamin, it is possible that she was mistaken since she did not know them. Probably not, but possibly so. Incidentally, the 1818 birth date shown on the certificate is the only place it shows up. The birth year on Benjamin's headstone is 1817, so I'll assume that is correct.

Because I cannot verify with absolute certainty the identity of Benjamin's parents based on the available inconclusive and confusing evidence, I'm going to stop trying. Tracing my father's line to Europe was my goal when I started this search, and I accomplished that with Benjamin.

John

Offline johnw47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Welsh contact of mine, (possibly) related through Ann Jones, writes the following about why Benjamin might have emigrated to America as a teen:

"Born Gyffylliog, record amended, forced to emigrate or be transported for being Welsh Calvinist, refused to affirm to Welsh Baptist.  Refer to Noncomformist rioting 1829/30; various chapels burnt, one Minister killed. No mention in local papers that Benjamin was personally involved in rioting, but it seems very likely; tensions ran high and whole villages were involved,against each other, cattle run off the fields, rivers/streams diverted to flood slate mines. Economic guerrilla war basically."

Alan has spent a lot of time researching the family's history, and I give some credence to what he tells me. However, if there was, indeed, no birth record for Benjamin at Cyffilliog Calvinist Methodist Church as Gadget notes, then his information may be flawed. This is all hurting my head.

John

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I did a lot of searching on FindmyPast and came up with one Benjamin baptised by his father Thomas Williams and mother Ann living in Aberavon, Glamorganshire in 1824. This was according to a memorandum on the FindMyPast record by the Vicar of Cadoxton. See snippet attached...

There are two Cadoxtons in Glamorganshire:

Wikipedia has " Cadoxton (Welsh: Llangatwg), is a village situated in Neath Port Talbot county borough, Wales. ... its fuller name, Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, in order to differentiate it from Cadoxton, Vale of Glamorgan (also known as Cadoxton-juxta-Barry)"

Cadoxton-juxta-Neath is very close (5 miles) to Cadoxton... Cadoxton-juxta-Barry is much further away (35 miles)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wiilliams and Ann Jones married 1814 Llanfawr Emigrants?... son Benjamin?
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
I now find a FindMyPast record for Benjamin Williams, Age 0, Birth Year 1824, Buried 7 August 1824, St Mary Anglican Church, Aberavon, Glamorganshire.

Sorry about that, I should have checked ahead....

llanfi  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-X

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 05:40 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Williams and Ann Jones married 1814 in Merionethshire had one son Thomas Humphrey Williams by 1822 . Thomas Humphrey Williams was named grandson and a beneficiary in Humphrey Jones (father of Ann Jones) will in 1822. He was the only child of Thomas Wiiliams in the will so I don’t think there was a Benjamin born 1818 by this couple. So cross off that marriage in your research. Pity because I hoped that this was a likely Llanfor Merionethshire connection.

However, I did find a reference to him as one of the founders of Delhi Lodge 250 in Delaware Ohio 25 May 1854. I contacted the Odd Fellows in Cleveland Ohio and received the following information:

"Benjamin Williams was listed as a Past Grand of the Lodge.  You become a Past Grand after serving as Noble Grand.  The Noble Grand is the highest office in a Odd Fellow Lodge.   Lodge #250 Radnor was located in Radnor Ohio and consolidated with Olentangy Lodge #53 in 1973.  Olentangy Lodge #53 went Defunct in 2013.  When a lodge consolidates the records are to go to the lodge they are consolidating with.  Sadly that doesn’t always happen.  When a lodge goes defunct the records are suppose to come to our Office.  About three years ago, the Officers voted to move the records here to the J H Rathbone Museum and Resource Center at 134 S Earl Ave., Lafayette IN 47904.

Cheers,

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :)