Author Topic: McCabe Liverpool England late 1800s  (Read 807 times)

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCabe Liverpool England late 1800s
« on: Saturday 07 July 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have another photo that I've wondered about.  The woman in the picture is Jane McCabe.  (1838-1906) 

Any ideas on the date of this photo?
Was she well to do or working class?
Is this what a widow would wear?

Jane McCabe (if I have the correct one as there were several Jane McCabes in the family)was married (after having 7 children with him) to John S McCabe.  He was a master porter, stevedore, had his own shipping firm, etc. 

Thank you,
Maureen

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: McCabe Liverpool England late 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Any ideas on the date of this photo? - mid 1860s to 1870s.

Was she well to do or working class? - The clutch of pearls around her neck suggests not lower class, probably upper middle.

Is this what a widow would wear? - It usually would be all black if this were a funeral dress. The collar and frills suggest a "dressy" dress, not necessarily formal wear, but something to be fashionable. I can see this being a green, purple or even red.

Well, that's my two cents. Hope you enjoy the retouched photo.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
DrDude,
Thanks so much for your help.  I love how you retouched the photo.  As for the pearls?  I hadn't even noticed them until you retouched the photo.  I can really see the details on her outfit now.  She got married when she was in her 40s, so this could have been around that time.  She and her husband said that they were married on all the census returns, but seemed to have gotten married after being together for a long time and having 7 children.  The two of them went off to London and got married.  I think everyone in Liverpool just assumed they were married.  Her "husband" had another family: 10 children with another woman at almost the same time. 
Again, thanks!
Maureen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
She doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring and I would have put this later...perhaps late 70s early 80s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline mtabbut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this picture was taken in London around the time of her wedding.  (lack of wedding ring) She didn't marry the father of her children until 1878 when she was in her 40s.  Thanks.

Offline Knowingdew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Wasn't even aware 1800s photos could be this clear.