Author Topic: Death of Thomas Lennox, 1892,Tullylinkesay  (Read 2244 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Thomas Lennox, 1892,Tullylinkesay
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure if any of this is of interest but will post on the off chance you haven't come across it all yet-

Belfast Morning News, 17 Aug.1858: EXTRAORDINARY PRODUCE.— Mr. Luke Lennox, of Tillinkesey, near Magherafelt, sold in Cookstown market, ou Saturday, the 7th inst., seven stones of flax, the produce of seven quarts of seed, for which he realised the sum of 3s. 

Belfast Newsletter, 17 Feb.1877: … Luke Lennox, Tillinkesy, plough held by his son...

Northern Constitution [Coleraine], 22 Dec.1906: … Andrew Lennox (sons), Mr. Nedwell (father-in-law), Mrs. Elliott (sister), Mr. Elliott (brother-in-law), ... John and Luke Lennox (nephews), Robert Nedwell (brother-in-law), Revs. R. W. Wright and A. P. Black, Drs. Thompson, J.P., and Hunter, ...

Northern Whig [Belfast], 6 Feb.1917: SUBSTITUTE Wanted immediately for Aughnacleagb N.S., Portglenone.— Apply Elizabeth Lennox, Tillinkesey, Castledawson, County Derry.

Belfast Newsletter, 4 Mar.1937: Lennox—March 2, 1937, at her residence Tamnadace, Castledawson, Margaret J., eldest daughter of the late Luke Lennox. Funeral to Castledawson Presbyterian Church Burylng-ground, to-day (Thursday), Inst., at 2 o'clock.

Lennox, Margaret of Tullinkesay Magherafelt county Londonderry spinster who died 27 May 1964 Administration Londonderry 8 December to Sarah Lennox spinster. Effects £311 9s.

"Little bit of local interesting info on an Andrew Luke Lennox, Presbyterian, born in 1839, died 1906. He married Agnes Jane McKane Nedwell (1866-1943) and they had four children - David Nedwell, Andrew Henry, John George and Robert Edward. Andrew Luke Lennox died in Castledawson and the cause of his untimely demise? - kick from either a donkey or mule! A descendant of a Luke Lennox, born about 1807, and died 29th December, 1891 at Tamnadace. He married a Margaret Lennox in 1838, and had a farm at Tamnadace of some 33 acres which was originally owned by a Thomas Love. In 1877, the farm was recorded as being owned by Luke Lennox and by 1910, in turn his son Andrew. These names are of course very familiar even today i.e. Tamnadace, Love (Loves Hill ?) and the name Lennox." (Facebook- Castledawson Life post- also a photo and comments posted)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
All of these clippings are of interest. What subscription do you have?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
If you put in Luke Lennox Tillinkesey in
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
you can access three pages for free by registering and save those pages for later too.

The extraordinary produce article and the subsitute article are both there
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
I just went to Rootsweb and found a Thomas who died in 1892 and his father is given as Patriarch. If info is correct, Thomas had siblings Luke Lennox who married Margaret Lennox and Elizabeth who was born 1812 and died 1877. There is a death for a Betty Lennox in 1877 so she must not have married or she married another Lennox.
I don't have a Hugh as a child to Luke but I probably don't have all Luke's children. Also, perhaps there were other siblings to Thomas (such as James) who may have had a son Hugh.
Onward.
Peggy

"Patriarch" is not a name though is it, this is a word that means head of the family. So who ever wrote that tree doesn't know that persons name?

https://gw.geneanet.org/belfast8?lang=en&p=thomas&n=lennox&oc=5
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
All of these clippings are of interest. What subscription do you have?
Peggy

No subscription needed- free searching on Find My Past Irish newspapers & Google found all of it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
I just went to Rootsweb and found a Thomas who died in 1892 and his father is given as Patriarch.

The tree I found on Rootsweb is very, very sloppy (and possibly very unreliable) but lists father as 'Family Patriarch Lennox.'
https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jerrydoyle&id=I12317

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
I did have a look at the Britishnewspaperarchive and on google. I did see some of the articles mentioned. Also had a look at facebook and Findmypast. Thanks everyone for all your help.
As for Patriarch, I have to wonder. I know it means the head of the family, but Luke is also supposed to have had a son Patriarch in 1840 as per Bradleys of So. Derry, which is strange.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
'Patriarch' wasn't a Christian name- sounds like someone used it for the name of an ancestor rather than 'unknown'  ::)

https://gw.geneanet.org/belfast8?lang=en&p=patriarch&n=lennox