Author Topic: Thomas Henry Boik  (Read 4138 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Henry Boik
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 July 18 14:21 BST (UK) »

Census 1871 at 26 Cobden Street Bromley

BOIK Henry   48y  brass moulder  b. Spitalfields
BOIK Rachel  47y  brass moulder  b. St Pancras
BOIK Thomas 18y engineer b. Bromley
BOIK Rebecca 16y pupil teacher b. Bromley
BOIK Jemima 10y scholar          b. Bromley
BOIK William    7y                     b. Bromley
BOIK Charles    4y                     b. Bromley
BOIK Joseph    1y                      b. Bromley

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 July 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Death for Mary Louisa Smithwick age 86 in 1944 East Brunswick Victoria.  Parents names match.

Suggested link to a passenger list for Mrs Betts age 28 arrival 11 Jan 1886 from London but not sure that is your Louisa as there is another Betts above age 30 Mr E.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 July 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Digressing a little but am curious about Frederick John Lucking and the 4 children they had - are they all together in 1881 census?

If he was the husband who supposedly died in 1891 making her a widow I haven't found his death yet  :-\

Louisa Elizabeth 1876
Martha Hannah 1878
Maud Frederica 1882 *

Is that some of the right children?

* marries in Australia but you probably already have that.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 July 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out information on Thomas Henry Boik.

The only definite information that I have on him is that he had a son with Mary Lousia Betts (also know as Lucking) in 1887 in NSW, his name also Thomas Henry Boik

From my research I believe I have found him at Yarra Bend Asylum where he died in 1898 aged 44 which would make him born in about 1854 but I am not 100% sure if this is the correct person. I have found a death record on BDM Vic which states that a Thomas Henry Boik died that year and it was resisted in Chil.

Furthermore, It says on the Asylum records that he was born in England however I am unable to find evidence of this.   

I am not really sure where else to look to try and confirm this information. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Kez

:)

I think you need to obtain copy of the actual official record rather than just rely on index information. 

NSW BDM online index has registration number for a birth for Thomas H, as son of Thomas H and Mary L BOIK, registered in the Newtown district in 1887  #9197.   The official transcription of that document will give you details that the informant provided for that registration, including when/where the parents married, and the names of the older siblings for the baby whose birth was being registered.  It should also give you the then ages of those parents, and where they were born, other family history info including occupation, usual address etc. 

From the resources board here on the Australia board, you will find sub-boards, including one for Victoria and one for New South Wales.  NSW Resources will give you many live links, including to Sands Directories and that should assist in looking up BOIK and others in around 1887ish in the Newtown District (so not just the suburb of Newtown, but neighbouring suburbs).  This should lead you to Sands: http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory 

Victoria Resources should give you many live links including several to help with sorting out the abbreviations used on INDEXES for bdms….  This should help with the abbreviation: http://bdmabbreviations.steveparker.id.au/

Here are live links to both the New Zealand and Australia Boards’ Resources
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/new-zealand-resources-offers/
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 July 18 02:45 BST (UK) »

Census 1871 at 26 Cobden Street Bromley

BOIK Henry   48y  brass moulder  b. Spitalfields
BOIK Rachel  47y  brass moulder  b. St Pancras
BOIK Thomas 18y engineer b. Bromley
BOIK Rebecca 16y pupil teacher b. Bromley
BOIK Jemima 10y scholar          b. Bromley
BOIK William    7y                     b. Bromley
BOIK Charles    4y                     b. Bromley
BOIK Joseph    1y                      b. Bromley

Hey thanks for the info :) I am still not 100% convinced that this is the correct person but I am really hoping it is!! :)

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 July 18 02:48 BST (UK) »
Digressing a little but am curious about Frederick John Lucking and the 4 children they had - are they all together in 1881 census?

If he was the husband who supposedly died in 1891 making her a widow I haven't found his death yet  :-\

Louisa Elizabeth 1876
Martha Hannah 1878
Maud Frederica 1882 *

Is that some of the right children?

* marries in Australia but you probably already have that.

Hey Yes they are the correct people however I wasn’t able to find them all at the same location on a census. The only person I found was Martha Hannah who was living with the Aunty (Louisa’s sister)
This is one confusing family. Louisa ended up having about 4 or 5 different partners!

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 July 18 05:16 BST (UK) »
Blimey! So I just received the NSW birth certificate for Thomas Henry.

It says that Thomas Henry Boik and Mary Louisa Betts were married on 16 May 1875 in London England.... the same day that Mary Louisa Betts married Frederick Lucking!!

Now this has just blown my mind.. could they be the same person?!?!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Good grief -  here's another marriage on same day -
London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932
Marriage
16 May 1875, at St Andrew and St Philip, Kensal Green, Kensington and Chelsea, England
Mary Louisa BETTS, 21, spinster, father: William BETTS, tailor
Nathaniel James MOLE, 21, bachelor, bootmaker, father: Charles MOLE, gentleman
Both living at 7 Elcom? St,
Witnesses: Edward Arthur SNOOK, Marian E SNOOK
Register Type:   Parish Register

HOwever - this woman is still in UK (Wandsworth) in 1891 and 1911 with husband James MOLE, bootmaker and 5 children all born in or around London. Her birthplace is given as Bloomsbury, approximate birthdate 1854

What a coincidence the marriage date.  Worth remembering that there are two women of the same name - or are there three of them???????????????

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
The Mary Louise BETTS/John Frederick LUCKING marriage was at West Ham, Vol 4a, p87, Apr qr 1875  My information doesn't have an exact date.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk