Author Topic: Fold3 free trial cancellation  (Read 9413 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Fold3 free trial cancellation
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 July 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
For reference in case you need to view anything else, it you are able to visit an LDS Family History Centre they have free use of Fold3 at the centres, along with a number of other what they refer to as "premium" websites in addition to all the microfilms on Familysearch which are restricted to FHCs.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 07:11 BST (UK) »
For reference in case you need to view anything else, it you are able to visit an LDS Family History Centre they have free use of Fold3 at the centres, along with a number of other what they refer to as "premium" websites in addition to all the microfilms on Familysearch which are restricted to FHCs.

That is if you are lucky and live in an area where they have not closed the centre to members of the public.  ;) 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
I hate the way these companies offer a free trial and make it purposely difficult to cancel. I don't use FindMyPast very often but they seem to hide their "don't charge me an annual fee after my trial ends" page and tick/untick boxes behind several layers of links. Even then I find it ambiguous.

Years ago I took out a two week free trial on Ancestry, couldn't work out how to cancel before the end of the trial, and ended up having to ring America. I still had a couple of days of the trial remaining but they cancelled it immediately. I was a bit miffed.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 18 09:56 BST (UK) »

That is if you are lucky and live in an area where they have not closed the centre to members of the public.  ;)

True but there are four FHCs within a 25 mile radius of me and all open at some point each week to the public, although two have very restricted opening hours for all because they are obviously run by volunteers and it depends I think on the number available and the attitude of the "manager" volunteer.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I took out a free trial of this and cancelled on 7 feb, the day before the trial ended. I got an email this morning confirming my membership and that they would charge me 50 dollars!
Has anyone experience of this and do I stand any chance of getting my money back? I don’t know how the error happened but I really don’t want this membership.
I have emailed support@fold3.com
Anyone any experience of this?
Thanks
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 11:22 GMT (UK) »
A lot of us have had experience of this on various free trial sites.
Personally I think auto subscription should be outlawed.
3 things may happen, they won't reply, they will tell you you didn't
tick the box to cancel or they will give you a refund but don't hold
your breath on that one.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
If you've evidence of cancellation but the site won't refund you, contact your card issuer - I think that if it's a credit card you should be able to claim from the, and leave them to chase the site.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I didn’t take evidence and paid by debit card!
I thought I had cancelled as it said so on the screen so I don’t understand how I got charged!
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »

I thought I had cancelled as it said so on the screen so I don’t understand how I got charged!

Greetings lis, long time no chat!

I realise it is no consolation, but a quick google brings up several online reviews from December/January about people being charged after their free Fold7 trial, despite cancelling and/or setting to do not auto renew.

As you have no screenshot proving your actions (it's always a good idea to get into the habit of taking screenshots for transactions/cancellations - I'm forever reminding family members to do this), if they respond to your first email and insist you have to pay, be firm but polite and state you had undertaken the free trial  in good faith and then decided a full subscription would not be of benefit, so chose not to continue. State you believed you had cancelled and would not be charged, so were very surprised to receive membership confirmation. However, as you have, and this seems to fall within the 'initial purchase after free trial' terms, you would now like to exercise your right to cancel and be refunded, as you are within the first 30 days of same:

.     Any subscription that is billed monthly, including monthly subscriptions and Semi-Annual Billed Monthly subscriptions, may be cancelled at any time but are not eligible for a refund. For all initial purchases of subscriptions that are not billed on a monthly basis, you may cancel during the first 30 days and receive a full refund. If such subscription begins with a free trial, the 30 day refund period begins after the free trial ends. If the cancellation occurs after the first 30 days, you will not receive a refund. For all renewals of subscriptions that are not billed on a monthly basis, you may cancel within seven days of the renewal date and receive a full refund.     

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .