Author Topic: Tracing the Shippen family  (Read 2150 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing the Shippen family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
GEORGE Shippen was a witness to the Marriage of BARBARA Shppen to Wm FEWSTER 24 Dec 1791, Holy Cross, Ryton, Durham

She looks likely to be the sponsor on the Bapt of Thomas Shippen 5 Mar 1785 

Burial at Ebchester for a BARBARAH Fewster 05 Oct 1813 age 56 (1757)
Abode Medomsley

All above on FreeREG

Familysearch has 4 Daughters Bapt to William/Barbara in Ryton, one at the Catholic Church in Stella
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm that the George Snr in Bywell in 1841 is the right one. George Jnr and Isabella are in the same village in 1851.

1851 Riding, Bywell,
George Shippin, 61 (?), Joiner and Cabinet Maker, b. Ryton, Durham,
Isabella ", wife, 75 (?), b. Bywell,
HO107/2414/266/10

Newcastle Courant, March 12 1858.
At Riding Mill, lately aged 70, Mr. George Shippen, Joiner, and on the 20th ult., Isabella aged 82, much and deservedly respected, relict of the above.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry -- Thanks to Henry V111 --public places of worship for Roman Catholics became illegal until the 1790s. As a result, prior to this date, baptisms and RC worship tended to occur in rooms or buildings set aside secretly in a Parish.

Often they were in what we would now call stately homes --- if the owner was RC. As a result RC details can be difficult to find on line before the ban against public RC worship was lifted.

However marriages HAD to take place in C of E Churches for ALL non-conformists, including Roman Catholics, except for Quakers and Jews.

Sometimes the old RC records are in the local archives OR in the the non-conformist records. Some of these are on Ancestry and some on The Genealogist website  --- but why do you think the family originated from Leeds/ Sherburn in Elmet please, as opposed to the County of Durham -- is it family lore or do you have some old records?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Burial;
SARAH Shippin, 14 Mar 1791 Ebchester, Wife of THOMAS, abode Ryton
(Sarah Snr mentioned earlier?)

Burial;
THOMAS Shippen 23 Apr 1828 Ebchester, age 91** (1737) abode Edchester Mill   

Marriage;
SARAH Shipen/John FEWSTER, 30 Jun 1801 Winlaton, Bachelor/Spinster

My gut tells me Thomas/Sarah may be the Parents of George/Barbara/Sarah Shippen.

Also 2 siblings may have married siblings which is often found in Family Trees.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bshippen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 July 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish1120

I have two records for a Georgii Shippen

One of them is the 1841 census where he appears to be living with his son George in Bywell  Just on the North side of the Tyne and he is shown in the age range 80 to 84. I hate to admit it but it looks like I got my sums wrong. I did wonder about him being only 16 when married but others in the family were married at that age for reasons that become apparent when the children started to appear.

I thank you for pointing this out and also mentioning FreeREG which has completely passed me by up until now

Barry

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry,

Sorry about to log out (2.00 am here!) and will get back to you tomorrow. In the mean time mull over it all and see what you think.

Trish :)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 08:54 BST (UK) »

The Georgii Shippen I am stuck on is recorded as baptised in Durham 27th Feb 1768 with no specific place that I can find. He married Sare (sic) Reed on the 14th June 1784. Their eldest son Thomas was born 5th March 1785 and baptised 11th March at St Thomas Aquino (RC) church Stella Nr Ryton.

He was followed by twins? George and John 27 February 1787, Ann 14 December 1789, two Stevens 1793 and 1794 the first one having died as an infant. Then came John  28 March 1799 and finally in my research Anthony 15 May 1804. All born/registered in Stella.

I was told by a catholic priest in Ryton that the current church is much more recent than these dates and that worship took place in local 'Great Houses'. Records seem hard to find

Hello

According to the transcribed Banns Registers of Ryton, Sarah REED was from Medomsley.
https://archive.org/stream/theregistersofry00ryto

Geographical Information (Online)
Medomsley is a village in County Durham, England, about 2 miles northeast of the centre of Consett, 1 ¹⁄₂ miles south of Hamsterley and 1 mile southeast of Ebchester.

This might not be your SHIPPEN family? But perhaps worth checking the actual R. C. Baptism Registers or Images of them (if they have survived):-

Returns of Papists 1767 Volume 2 [Transcribed] Catholic Record Society

COUNTY DURHAM
Chester Le Street Deanery
EBCHESTER
Names               Age, Occupation, Resident
John SHIPPEN, 60,   Shoemaker,    38y
his wife,              54,                               2y
John SHIPPEN, 33,            do.            33y
dau.                       4,                                4y
son                         2,                               2y
[Signed:]  Jonan. Jeffreson, Curate, 16 Sep. 1767

MEDOMSLEY  [Signed:]  Jonn. Jeffreson, Curate, 16 Sep. 1767
There is no surname REED listed

Comments
What surprises me (according to the Ryton transcriptions, if they are correct?) is that George Shippon married Sarah Reed, by Banns, rather than by Licence?

I was always taught that Staunch Catholics & Nonconformists would usually keep any contact with the Parish Church minimal (Hardwicke's Marriage Act had forced Catholics and Nonconformists (NC) into marrying at a Parish Church).

Some Staunch Catholics and NC wouldn't baptise or felt they couldn't marry in the Parish Church (C of E /Anglican) suggesting there may be no formal State Church (C of E / Parish) record.

TNA, Kew, website says some marriages were unlawful, suggesting some didn't formally marry according to Hardwicke's Marriage Act.

Mark

Offline bshippen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Thank you for the background info on the registrations - I wish that I had found this site years ago.

Some of the family seemed to be slipping out of Catholicism as it suited them at this time so the banns did not really surprise me. In fact, as part answer to Trish's last post I assumed that George got away from the family further south who remained Catholic at the time.

The family name also - as far as I can see - started to appear in Northumberland / Durham at about this time. Many of them were miners who I believe moved north as the new Pits opened along the south of the Tyne. My own Grandfather was a miner but dad became the black sheep by becoming a grocer :)

I have visited the church in Medomsley and was made very welcome but the vicar was away and only he could get to the records still held in the church. I will go back next time I am over there

Barry

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Barry

Some Catholic records are still with the church concerned. Some Registers still have not been filmed / fiched yet, in some parts. Some may be missing.

I know for Selby, the R. C. Priest visited every two weeks in the 1780s and some of the Selby individuals, appear in the Register where he visited from.

Occasionally, the Catholic Diocesan Archives have some Registers.

But you may find searching their catalogue from the links / enquiring here useful too ...
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/10586/Roman-Catholic-Churches

Mark