Author Topic: Burton School Houses, Stogursey  (Read 869 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burton School Houses, Stogursey
« on: Sunday 08 July 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
       Just a small enquiry  about my 2ND great grandfather William Exon (b.1853 d. 1920)In the 1871 census it states that William was living in Burton School Houses near Stogursey, Somerset. Could anyone shed some light on the whereabouts of these houses, are they still there and are there any pictures of the place. Thank You for your time
                                                      Regards David
Parker

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burton School Houses, Stogursey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
The relevant entry is at RG10/2354 fo57 p7.

It shows the Exon household as Schedule No. 31, and the School House as No. 28. Apart from School House and Burton Cottage (No. 27), all that can be inferred about the other dwellings on that page is that they were in Burton, and nothing more specific.

It appears to be a hamlet of scattered houses, and in the absence of names for them, both in the census and on the earliest OS maps, you might need to consult land deeds etc to have any chance of identifying specific properties.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burton School Houses, Stogursey
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, I agree with everything you said I thought the same. I was hoping someone from the area or knew the area had some local knowledge of the the houses.
                                   Thanks again for your help, Regards David
Parker