Author Topic: Were fathers of illegitimate children typically named on the birth certificate?  (Read 3654 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I'm particularly interested in the 1920s.

My late grandmother was illegitimate and we don't have a copy of her birth certificate. From what I have heard from family, the child was the result of a one-time encounter and the father's identity was either unknown or never disclosed.

I'm wondering if it's worth ordering a copy of the birth certificate, or if it's likely in the above circumstances that no father was listed?

I understand your replies may just be that it's always worth a try, and I'll probably try it anyway, but just want to know whether to ready myself for disappointment!

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
In the case in question, very unlikely because from 1875 the reputed father HAD to be present at the registration to consent to his name being added
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Hi

"Is it worth ordering?"

Absolutely!

Why not gives us (Rootschatters) ALL of the details (known about her) and we can at least check some of it.

Disappointed? My view? = At least you will have tried.

You have my offer of help. PM me if you like, to start a discussion?
You can involve RC'ers when you are ready.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Worth checking the birth on  FreeBMD. If recorded under the mother’s surname with mothers maiden name matching birth name then it is unlikely father will be recorded on the certificate. If the father is recorded then I think there will be two entries for the birth with matching references, one under father’s surname and one under mother’s surname, but could be wrong in this.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would prepare to be disappointed I'm afraid so wouldn't spend out on it personally but entirely up to you  :)

Even if she named a father when she married it could be a made up one.  I take it she grew up and used her mothers surname. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
My 2x Great Aunt when she registered her illegitimate son's birth in 1903 appears to have invented a father's first name (it could of course be the correct first name) and gave him her surname and then listed herself as having her mother's maiden name. :-X  Anything is possible but as Milliepede says, chances are you'll probably be disappointed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Grandmother was illegitimate and the column for Father and his profession were left blank.

On the marriage register her Grandfather (who was deceased is named as her Father.  I can understand why because of attitudes at that time. 

I have found in my researching that a Father may sometimes be named on a baptism.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a baptism record for my Grandmother.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi snuttall,

As has been listed here its worth going for a birth cert. although, as has been mentioned earlier, the father's name column will probably be a blank.

You could always try the FreeBMD site;
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
by searching with known details and see what comes up. If successful you can then go to the GRO site;
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
and input those details and see what info results. If the mother's maiden name is the same as the child's surname, then its more than liklely an illegitimate birth.

My g/grandmother when she got married stated her age as being 17, and listed her brother, as her father. Whereas in fact she was only just 15 years of age giving birth a few months later.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk