Author Topic: Chesterton lookup  (Read 1299 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Chesterton lookup
« on: Sunday 08 July 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Looking for any information on Thomas and Mary Harmon, parents to Thomas Harmon who they christened in Chesterton in 1719. This Thomas married someone named Martha at some point (presumably) and were christening children in nearby St. Giles ward in Cambridge in the 1750s. According to Wikipedia, the church is 'located on the junction of Castle Street and Chesterton Road' and is just over 2 miles away.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chesterton lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam
This looks like the first marriage
Thomas Horman 28 Sep 1718 at Croydon cum Clapton to Mary Mason

Although daughter Ann baptised at Chesterton 21.8.1718.

Possible baptism as Thomas Harman to Thomas and Mary at Cambridge St Andrew the Less 10 May 1691.
There's the same record at Barnwell.I don't know the area so perhaps you would know why.
There is also a William Harman and Elizabeth Smith at Chesterton but seemingly no son Thomas in the 1680's

Burial for Thomas at Chesterton 2.6.1731 a labourer Blind man.
Mary Harman presumably his mom buried Chesterton 1.3. 1704/5.

Mary the widow remarried 8.4.1732 at Chesterton Robert Ripshaw of Cambridge.

The nearest I can get to the son's marriage is at Cambridge st Peter 21 Mar 1751/2 Thomas Hermunt and Martha Gooden.
It is a transcript so it could be a misreading of Harmon.

ps FindMyPast insists on you putting Hairman in the search box.Other things I found were on Freereg

Ciderdrinker

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ciderdrinker!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
According to Wikipedia, Barnwell formed part of the parish of St. Andrew the Less. Can you find a burial for Mary Harman, who married Robert Ripshaw in 1732?

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
There was also a Thomas Harmon who married Lucy Mayes in St. Clement, Cambridge, on 13th June 1751.

Two children - John Samuel Thomas Hermon in PR (BT has Haremon) on 10th November 1754
Also Lucy Beaton Hermon/Haremon on the same day

A John Samuel Hermon married Ann Briggs in Barnwell and St Andrew the less on 16th May 1819

A Mary Ripshaw buried at St Clement on 23rd April 1767 - no age given
Aslo on 09 Aug 1777 - no age

There are burials for a Robert Ripshaw St Peter in 1743 and 1747

Two children to a Robert and Mary Ripshaw at St Peter:
John on 9th October 1737
George on 10th November 1740

Possible George marriage at St Clement on 12th July 1778 to Mary Day

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks David!

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,

I have also been looking around for the marriage of Thomas and also the nearest I can get is the same as Ciderdrinker. Cambridge St Peter 21 Mar 1751/2 Thomas Hermunt and Martha Gooden.

St Peters nr St Giles was united with St Giles at that time.

WhiskyMac.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
I read about it yesterday, and considering the churches are reputedly 50 yards apart, it does make sense! Thanks.