Author Topic: Michael NEELE's will administration, 1643  (Read 465 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Michael NEELE's will administration, 1643
« on: Sunday 08 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with this?

It concerns Michael NEELE of Kimble Wick in Buckinghamshire, is dated 1643, and appears to be a will administration. It seems to be at least partially in Latin (and abbreviated at that). I'm particularly interested in finding out in what capacity John Goodchild is mentioned, since he's an ancestor of mine and married an Elizabeth NEELE in 1644.

Thanks

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael NEELE's will administration, 1643
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Neele  9o Junij 1643 p(er) m(agist)rum Jo(hannem) Bartin(?) cl(ericum) Surr(ogat)um &c. concessa fuit Ad(ministrati)o bo(norum) &c.

Mich(aelis) Neele def(uncti) nup(er) de kimble (magna deleted) wick p(ar)o(chi)e de Kimble mag(na)

Arch(inato) Bucks ab intestat(i) def(uncti) Joannae Neele eius rel(icte) p(er)son(alit)er Jurat(e)

salvo &c. obl(igatus) cu(m) ea Jo(hannes) Goodchild de ead(em) yeoman (deletion)

(deletion) in 200l 60l h(ab)et Computare pro 227l 6s 0d

On the 9th of June 1643, administration of the goods etc. of Michael Neele, deceased, lately of Kimble Wick in the parish of Kimble Magna in the Archdeaconry of Bucks, (who) died intestate, was granted by Master John Bartin(?), clerk, surrogate etc., to Joan/Joanna Neele, his relict, (who was) sworn in person, saving etc. John Goodchild, yeoman of the same (parish), was bound with her for 60 pounds (part of the sum of) 200 pounds; she has to account for 227 pounds 6 shillings 0 pence.

===

There was no will. It's a grant of administration, recorded in the Act Book.

Michael Neele died intestate (= with no valid will). Michael’s widow Joan/Joanna was bound (i.e. she made a legal undertaking) to administer his estate in accordance with the law, against a penalty of £200 if it was not properly done. John Goodchild was her bondsman – he would contribute £60 to the £200 penalty payment, should it be called in. The estate accounts amounted to £227 6s.

The annotation in the margin appears to read Ad(ministratio) de bo(norum) = administration of the goods, 10 Sept 1694. It may suggest that the administration was not actually completed at the time but only in 1694.

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michael NEELE's will administration, 1643
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Bookbox!
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge