Author Topic: William Hampton Family 1851 Port William,Mochrum Parish  (Read 1972 times)

Offline John Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hampton Family 1851 Port William,Mochrum Parish
« on: Monday 09 July 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone.  My 3X Great Grandparents William and Isabella Hampton immigrated from Ireland to Scotland sometime in the early 1800's. I think that their 2 Sons,William and Samuel were both born in Ireland too,but have records that say Scotland as well. 
William and Isabella were both born circa 1800 in Ireland. William Jr. circa 1823 and Samuel circa 1827. Samuel immigrated from Scotland to Ontario,Canada in the early 1850's and I am guessing that the rest of the family remained in Wigtownshire area.I have found 1841 and 1851 Census listing the family in Port William and I am wondering if you can possibly help me find more records from your area.
Thank You for your help. John Hampton.
Hampton Hawkins Larkins Noble Dunning Gilchrist Borland Lay Henry Green Biddulph Beaumont

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William Hampton Family 1851 Port William,Mochrum Parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
I am not local but have found a couple of records on  Familysearch.Org.

Marriages;
26 October 1841, Stranraer, Wigtown, GEORGE Hampton to Anne McCUTCHEON
10 November 1842, Mochrum, Wigtown, ISABELLA Hampton to John QINN
29 April 1851,Mochrum, Wigtown, WILLIAM Hampton to Jane FINDLAY

Looks like William/Jane went to Canada also and then returned to Scotland.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
This looks like the family trish found
1871 census Mochram Wigtownshire
William Hampton age 40 says he was born England ( draper & Grocer )
Jane transcribed as Jens Hampton  age 40 born Scotland
William Hampton age 17 born Canada
James Hampton age 15 born Canada
Robert Hampton age 13 born Canada
George Hampton age 7 born Mochram Wigtownshire
John Hampton age 5 born Mochram Wigtownshire
Isabella Hampton age 3 born Mochram Wigtownshire
Alex Hampton age 6 months born Mochram Wigtownshire
Elizabeth Wallace age 18 born Port Logan Wigtownshire

The family are in England Kirkdale Lancashire on the later census

Valuation Records Scotlands People 1864 ,1865 1875
William Hampton ( House and shop ) Village of Port William Mochrum

No sign of the parents of William Hampton

Rosie

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Possible deaths but age out on Scots people
Mochrum
William Hampton 1870 age 83
Isabella 1868 age 80 mother's maiden name Shorthill.

Ciderdrinker

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Possible deaths but age out on Scots people
Mochrum
William Hampton 1870 age 83
Isabella 1868 age 80 mother's maiden name Shorthill.

Ciderdrinker

Seen that death for Isabella and I also wondered but could not find her on the 1861 census Scotland
You might have better luck

Offline John Hampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 01:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for very helpful and informative replies.

When I posted the topic I was aware that Samuel immigrated to Canada at or near 1851-1854 but wasn't aware that  his older brother William and his family did too. I assume it was near or at the same time looking at the ages and time lines of their earliest born sons and daughters.It is very interesting that William and his family returned to Scotland during William and Isabella's senior years. William ,both Senior and Junior are listed as Draper & Grocers in different records. William Jr. being born in England (1871 Census) raises questions as both 1841 and 1851 say Ireland.  Thank you for the 1871 census and burial info.All your assistance is very helpful.

Also previously unknown to me was marriage data for George & Anne,Isabella jr & John Qinn and William and Jane. Thank You very much appreciated research !

I have also noted the discrepancy with ages of the family members from the 1841 and 1851 Wigtownshire Census and realize that,that sometimes occurred almost 2 centuries ago. I am grateful these records are available and accessible.Also grateful for your assistance helping me locate them.I haven't seen any other Hampton families in records during this time period in the area so it looks possible that William b.circa 1790-1802 and his family may be the only ones.

Also great to find that Isabella's maiden name is Shorthill as I still have yet to learn anything about William and Isabella's families in Ireland. This is my very first hint of that.Thank You. Also I am still trying to locate Marriage dates and places for William Sr. and Isabella.(no indication yet whether they married in Ireland or Scotland.Ireland sounds most probable as thats where they both were born. I am also still trying to find my 2x GGP Samuel and Sarah Marion Hampton (Lay) date and place of marriage. Sarah's birth family came to Wigtownshire  from Northumberland, England and are found in 1841 and 1851 records.For some reason Sarah is listed with her birth family in 1841 but not 1851.Samuel is listed with his birth family in both 1841 and 1851. By 1854 both couples Samuel and Sarah ; and William and Jane were in Canada raising their families. It seems likely Samuel and Sarah would have married in Scotland also,seeing that they arrived in Canada together with already married brother William and sister in law Jane. Also interesting and previously unknown to me is that William lived at some point in 4 countries.Great work Everyone and thank you all !

Hope you all are enjoying your summer and getting great weather where ever you may be !

Blessings

John Hampton

Hampton Hawkins Larkins Noble Dunning Gilchrist Borland Lay Henry Green Biddulph Beaumont

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
Good luck with it all John. Its not hot here is Sydney but very cold!

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Yes good luck with your research a few names there to keep you busy

Rosie :)