Author Topic: Census presentation on MyCanvas  (Read 1350 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Census presentation on MyCanvas
« on: Monday 09 July 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I am currently creating a family history book (11 x 8.5 in) on MyCanvas. Some of the prepared pages have various censuses that I had attached to the family tree.

I was wondering whether, when printed, I would still be able to read the small writing of the census clearly or if I need to crop it to just the family I'm related to and not the whole page?
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Census presentation on MyCanvas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
It will always depend on the size of paper you use, and the eyesight of the viewer.

I find that UK census pages are just about legible when printed on A4 paper (near enough 11 x 8.5), though I would be reaching for the magnifying glass for many entries. The print quality of an ordinary computer printer these days is good enough for this to be worthwhile. Don't forget that there will be margins around the image.

Things are a lot clearer when A3 paper is used. Do you like the idea of a "coffee table" book?

I think that it would be better for the readers if you took the extra time and effort to select the extracts. Having the right-hand end of a family's entries underneath the left-hand part would make it reasonably easy to follow. Perhaps put in one "full" sheet to demonstrate why you have done this with the rest!

Try a couple of sample pages printed on A4 and see how it looks to you and a couple of others.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
I took a quick look at what MyCanvas did with part of my family tree on Ancestry. Maybe there are  formatting options I haven't seen. But on the standard 11" x 8.5" book MyCanvas created, the census image scans are formatted into a 7.8 inches wide 'window'. The widow height (3.3 - 4.7 inches) depends on the height of the image. So any census image (whatever it may contain) is going to cover no more than 70% of a MyCanvas page.

One thing I'd certainly do is to to crop (and straighten) your census images so that they contain only the 25 (max) lines of census data + header lines (Year, Town, district, etc.) that you want shown. In other words crop out any "wide black borders" from the scan. Crop out any Public Records Office Id strips on the right hand side if you don't need these in the book. You could even crop out blank 'white borders on the page. This kind of cropping makes sure that the 'image windows' in your book are filled with only relevant census information. MyCanvas expands the cropped image to fit the window.

Two examples below: one with the Public Records Office Id (as originally scanned). The other without the Id (as originally scanned too). The examples aren't very accurate. I took two MyCanvas screen shots, and resized them in Photoshop to 11 inch wide.

It's a bit of a puzzle because you ideally want to display all the census columns for your family. So the "width" (after cropping out borders and PRO Id strips) is pretty much fixed. Unless I'm missing something, the image width is going to be the same whether you display a list of 25 names or 4 names.

I'm not absolutely sure whether the larger book size (14" x 11") has a larger 'census data window" but I would assume so. It might be worth considering if you're concerned about the readability of the census text.
Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
Though it would be nice to include the original in your book, maybe a transcription would be more practical considering the issues Mike has raised?