Author Topic: Artic Medals  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ARCTIC MEDALS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information, Simon.  My husband who would have been his NoK is dead, but I am thinking that a grand-son would be a suitable claimant.  I will pass this information on, for which I am most grateful.

Kindest regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
I am going back a couple of years now, but I sent off asking if my dad was entitled to the Arctic Star and gave the relevant convoy number etc. I also asked why he had not been awarded the Defence medal.
Some fourteen months later I had a reply, a whole A4 side informing me why he was not entitled to the Defence Medal, turn over the page and two lines, "yes he is entitled to the Arctic Star, it is in the post"
I also asked which medals an uncle who was KIA was entitled to, they told me which medals and that they had been posted on a specific date to his then remarried wife who had moved up north. Sadly whilst doing some checks with my family tree I have established that both had died not having children and the medals are now stuffed in a drawer somewhere.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline alderjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 July 19 15:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry for overlong delay in replying - have looked at convoy details for Orchis which seems only possibility and no Arctic convoys to Murmansk etc fit his dates. What info would he have supplied to the Russians to get their medal? - as we have that one so they must have considered his claim valid.
Mike