Author Topic: Funeral - No mourning or flowers.  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral - No mourning or flowers.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
Chas -- I understand exactly where you are coming from and my husband is horrified at my wish for no funeral.

It is difficult -- but I do think it's important that everything is sorted out BEFOREHAND, whilst we are healthy and emotion is not interfering  -- as if we wait until a death occurs - that's when it's very difficult for a family, having to make decisions and arrangements at a really sad time.

Cheerful subject!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
You know, a funeral is part of the grieving process and has been for all of recorded history. People need a chance to say goodbye. Whether to bless them, or curse them, it helps those left behind move on in their grieving.

Everyone must make their own decisions about their lives and hopefully about their deaths. For me, I want a funeral. But the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth in the outer darknesses will be optional.

Regards

Chas

I totally agree Chas, it's just that a 'funeral' can be any number of things, not just a gathering in a church or a crematorium, although of course that is fine if it suits you and the family.

When discussing our loss with the funeral director, she mentioned that one of her clients had been particularly fond of the sea.  And that the family had therefore decided that they would have his ashes put into some fireworks, which they would then fire into the heavens at a beach gathering for family and friends.  At the time my daughter and I thought that was strange, but thinking about it subsequently, I have come to see that it is absolutely beautiful in its own way.  But only if it suits you.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 July 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
My granddaughter (now 18years) and I were discussing this early last year.  She rather fancied making me into fireworks, son thought sending me into outer space as I always had an interest in it.  Me I think I will be cremated and fancy ashes to the wind.  I will be free to travel wherever I want.  But I could change my mind many times between now and then.  Would want a celebration of life too.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 July 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
My mother discussed in great detail with me her wishes for her funeral some time before she died.  She laid out the programme for the service, specifying which tunes she wanted for each hymn and which readings specific people would read, even down to my nephew playing the organ. She wanted lots of flowers!  It seemed to give her some comfort to do this and we were happy to carry out her instructions.  My aunt, on the other hand, well into her 80s when her husband died, simply said, "We never talked about it" when I asked what kind of a funeral we should arrange for him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 16 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Maybe it's just don't be sad, turn up in bright clothes and don't mourn my death, celebrate my life. ;D
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 16 July 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Mark, I think that that is correct.  I just never heard of happy funerals until about 1995.  Perhaps I had a sheltered life.

Martin

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
I know at some football matches now instead of a minutes silence they have a minutes applause.
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland