Author Topic: Anna Sarah EWING birth record 1885  (Read 2234 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Sarah EWING birth record 1885
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mc8/  gets you all Sligo born, C of I Ewings on 1911 census.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Have you not looked at Links posted?

She was born in Sligo!
I'm very sorry  :-[ - yes I did look at all of them and have been making a note of all the information but somehow missed the ref to Sligo as place of birth.  :'(

At the risk of sounding really stupid I am now intrigued by Elizabeth Ewing on the 1901 Barber household census - she is Catholic and 16 - the Ewings are C of I and the only Elizabeth I have found so far was born 1874 so too early - and if she were the illegitimate daughter of one of the Ewing sisters she would surely take her mother's denomination? I'll have a look for her later as i have to go out now.

Thanks for all your help,

Liz

Wat about the

Ewing   Elizabeth   12   Female   Daughter   Church of Ireland  on 1901 Census??

Is this the Elizabeth you seek??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
At the risk of sounding really stupid I am now intrigued by Elizabeth Ewing on the 1901 Barber household census - she is Catholic and 16 - the Ewings are C of I and the only Elizabeth I have found so far was born 1874 so too early - and if she were the illegitimate daughter of one of the Ewing sisters she would surely take her mother's denomination?

Do you mean this Elizabeth Ewing in 1911 census?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Lissadill_East/Cullagh_More/753571

Just because her surname was Ewing doesn't mean she was closely related (or even related at all). Based on age 16 in 1911 this looks like a possibility for her birth registration-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02293/1860346.pdf

In 1901 she's Lizzie-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Sligo/Sligo_Town_in_19_files/Barrack_Street/1683690

Father Charles Ewing died 1940-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1940/04731/4265266.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure which Elizabeth is being referred to!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Wat about the
Ewing   Elizabeth   12   Female   Daughter   Church of Ireland  on 1901 Census??
Is this the Elizabeth you seek??

This one-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Carney/Barnarobin/753308

It's 1911 census not 1901 and OP said the Elizabeth Ewing in question is in Barber household so the one I posted above is more likely.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Ok.

If the Search I put up earlier was done then they are all there..

Birth results for ewing of Sligo

Displaying results 1 - 46 of 46.

Lipsetts, Barbers etc...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Back to Charles Ewing the coachbuilder-

Sligo Champion, 24 Nov.1900: … of one Charles Ewing. of Barrack Street, for Saturday night, and, thus having the ears of Rev Father I Hynes put his veto against it. Early on Saturday evening young man named John Moran was talking to Mrs Eliza Murray at her own door in Barrack Street ...

Sligo Champion, 26 Sept.1903: Patrick Meehan, whom Mr Scanlan described as a notorious drunkard, was also, in his absence, fined 5e and costs. Charles Ewing, oar painter [coach painter?], was charged with a similar offence. Sergeant Dixon said this man's wife complained of him being continually ...

Sligo Champion, 5 Oct.1907: Sergeant Dolan summoned Charles Ewing for being drunk and incapable in Barrack Street on 21st inst. The Sergeant said that Ewing had not been prosecuted for the last twelve months ...

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies ... I know what I'll be doing this evening and it won't be watching the football!

I only mentioned Elizabeth Ewing because she was a servant in the Barber household in 1911 (sorry not 1901) (Margaret Jane Barber (nee Ewing, John Lipsett Barber). Margaret is definitely related to my b-i-l - I am not sure how common a name Ewing is in Ireland so I guess she could just be a red herring.

Charles Ewing sounds very interesting  ::) though I'm not sure what B-i-l's Mum will make of him if he turns out to be one of her relatives!

Thanks again,

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk