Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 15: #2 Olivia Colman  (Read 10319 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 15: #2 Olivia Colman
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Dr. Who......David Tennant.

Thats the one  :)  thank you

xin

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
Think we are all envious of those fantastic letters and portraits !

Thoroughly enjoyed Olivia's ancestry trail. She was obviously both thrilled and moved as each new piece of info was revealed. Even my husband (usually not in the least interested in WDYTYA  :P) was hooked by this episode.

Looby :)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
I loved this one because there were so many similarities to my own story.  My line had links to East India Trading Company, one of my relations was a Captain in the British Army at that time.  There were quite a few journeys back and forward from India to Britain.  I always thought my family came from my home-town forever but it wasn't true.  There was also a lot of money and large houses but it didn't filter down to me.  There are quite a lot of documents that exist including pictures and it's possible to work out a lot of detail from them.  There is also a 'local Indian woman' named as mother on birth records but she isn't heard of again.

Overall I found it very interesting but it was a shame there were so many tears.  I had never heard of Olivia Colman and still don't know who she is but that doesn't matter.  The story was interesting.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Any of these ring a bell......Rev, Broadchurch, The Night Manager?

No!!!   :-X :-X I did say that I was "old and decrepit"  ;D

Hi

I wanted to see WDYTYA and simply forgot to turn on the TV, so one for catch up.

Was she like his British Intelligence contact in the Night Manager, all I can remember is the lead character wheeling & dealing arms and that lusty love scene against the wall with another actress, who gets killed off.

Mark

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Even though in Australia I have seen Olivia in many English TV Roles.

I downloaded the episode and found it one of the best I have seen.

I really dont mind if I know the person at all, I can always google them, but just enjoy the Family stories :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
India Harriet's mother's will was subsequently discovered - in the Berkshire archives, in the papers they held for her uncle's son... her mother had died in 1810, so, rather than her being "sent away from her mother", which they implied, it would appear she was a complete and proper orphan. 

So they now know the identity of India Harriet's mother and what happened to her.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
India Harriet's mother's will was subsequently discovered - in the Berkshire archives, in the papers they held for her uncle's son... her mother had died in 1811, so, rather than her being "sent away from her mother", which they implied, it would appear she was a complete and proper orphan. 

So they now know the identity of India Harriet's mother and what happened to her.

That's an interesting twist. Where did you discover that?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 15:45 BST (UK) »

A really interesting start to the new series, and I loved her enthusiasm and obvious interest.

But how amazing to be able to read all of those old letters, and to actually see a photo of 'India Harriot'... I bet this doesn't happen with most people's family history research! Perhaps it was just because they'd obviously always had a lot of dosh?

Romilly ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
India Harriet's mother's will was subsequently discovered - in the Berkshire archives, in the papers they held for her uncle's son... her mother had died in 1810, so, rather than her being "sent away from her mother", which they implied, it would appear she was a complete and proper orphan. 

That's an interesting twist. Where did you discover that?
The Berks Archives posted it on their Facebook page. 

"Olivia Colman was searching to find Harriet Slessor's mother. Well we can reveal that her mother was in fact a lady called Seraphina Donclere, who died in 1810. We hold a copy of her will which mentions 'her beloved daughter Harriet Slessor'."

"The will has ended up in our collection as it is within the records of Pitman Bazett of Newbury, solicitors. "

"Harriet’s second husband was a Bazett, and his nephew was a solicitor in Newbury."

Link: https://www.facebook.com/berkshirerecordoffice/posts/1991269454217038
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.